World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to get a trip to west deepest darkest west Wales each autumn and the settled weather gave a good opportunity. Set off at 6.30 and arrived at 9.30 with a short stop at Dragon Baits for some ragworm. A quick walk along the coast path and I was fishing. Plan was to float fish along with a few lures and a bit of feathering for mackerel.

Pollock first cast, pollock second cast, wrasse third cast. Most of the morning it was a fish or a bite every cast. Fished in three different directions, a kelpy ledge to my right gave most of the bigger fish, a boulder in front gave mostly small pollock and the sheer drop to my left gave mostly corkwing wrasse. My normal approach is a head hooked worm (or half a worm) float fished about 1ft off the kelp/structure. My biggest pollock and wrasse (ballan) came to smaller worms wacky rigged (through the middle)

Saw a large dark shape breaking the surface and moving to the left about 200yds out watched it for a while thinking it might be a basking shark but it turned out to be a seal. Looked back and my float had disappeared so I lifted into a nice pollock.

Lots of seal activity around high water and a group of divers spent an hour or two mid afternoon diving quite close to where I was fishing.

I stopped float fishing for a while and tried lure fishing, but no joy. I also tried a few cast with feathers every hour or so, but no sign of mackerel. I was joined on the mark towards high water by two lads after tope. They managed a few mackerel and set about bottom fishing but had no luck while I was there.

Only small fish, my tally for the day was 17 corkwing wrasse, 2 ballan wrasse (biggest about 1.5lb), 19 pollock (biggest about 1.5lb) and a surprise rock goby (surprised as it took a 1/0 top gun hook!). No sign of bass this year, i normally catch a few or see them swimming past.

A few pics...

Premium Member
Great read Gareth. Nice eventful session catching lots of fish. As they say, "that's the way to do it". 馃帲馃帲馃帲馃帲馃帲馃悷馃悷馃悷馃憤

Registered
I try to get a trip to west deepest darkest west Wales each autumn and the settled weather gave a good opportunity. Set off at 6.30 and arrived at 9.30 with a short stop at Dragon Baits for some ragworm. A quick walk along the coast path and I was fishing. Plan was to float fish along with a few lures and a bit of feathering for mackerel.

Pollock first cast, pollock second cast, wrasse third cast. Most of the morning it was a fish or a bite every cast. Fished in three different directions, a kelpy ledge to my right gave most of the bigger fish, a boulder in front gave mostly small pollock and the sheer drop to my left gave mostly corkwing wrasse. My normal approach is a head hooked worm (or half a worm) float fished about 1ft off the kelp/structure. My biggest pollock and wrasse (ballan) came to smaller worms wacky rigged (through the middle)

Saw a large dark shape breaking the surface and moving to the left about 200yds out watched it for a while thinking it might be a basking shark but it turned out to be a seal. Looked back and my float had disappeared so I lifted into a nice pollock.

Lots of seal activity around high water and a group of divers spent an hour or two mid afternoon diving quite close to where I was fishing.

I stopped float fishing for a while and tried lure fishing, but no joy. I also tried a few cast with feathers every hour or so, but no sign of mackerel. I was joined on the mark towards high water by two lads after tope. They managed a few mackerel and set about bottom fishing but had no luck while I was there.

Only small fish, my tally for the day was 17 corkwing wrasse, 2 ballan wrasse (biggest about 1.5lb), 19 pollock (biggest about 1.5lb) and a surprise rock goby (surprised as it took a 1/0 top gun hook!). No sign of bass this year, i normally catch a few or see them swimming past.

A few pics...

View attachment 1371971 View attachment 1371972 View attachment 1371973 View attachment 1371974
Hi m8 ...now thats a nice bit f fishing

Registered
Some great photos of some stunning looking fish

1 - 14 of 14 Posts