World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wellies, great for getting my feet wet. it seems everytime i use them they fill up with water. so many types of waders, pvc/neoprene/heavy duty any recommendations.they will be used all year, probably twice a month only, cheers

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Digit.
I`ve tried a few different types of waders over the years and my current pair are far and away the best I`ve ever used .
Daiwa chest waders. 4mm neoprene.Double thick knee.
Extremely comfortable,, i`m not a slim lad and they dont feel restrictive at all.
You can get them in either cleated or felt sole,,arond the 45-50 pound mark.
I`ve worn them in Irish Alantic surf and freezing cold scottish lochs and stayed warm.
Ron Thompson do a neoprene chesty for about the same money but I havent heard any reports about them.
Hope this helps bud,
Terry F.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I have both waist waders made from rubber which I use in the river, & Snowbee Neoprene Chest Waders which I use to launch/recover my boat, & for beach fishing. These are the best thing since sliced bread was introduced! the strapping arrangement means that you can use them as "waistees" if you want, they are warm, comfortable, & expensive! so my advice is to chase the best possible price for Neoprenes on e-bay!
blueskip

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm with Lurelover on this one. Ron Thompsons are great. I use their chesties. Good price and come with a rucksack style carry bag.

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the comments, i know i can get some pvc ron t's from my local tackle shop cheap enough but will have to go web hunting for neoprenes. cheers

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Consider where you fish first. In Winter chestie neoprene's lovely and warm but in Summer, unless you spend a lot of time IN Water they can get warm because they are so well insulated (given some sun) Thighs are a good compromise as you can turn them down if static. BUT get a good fit in the foot rather than a loose fit if you are rock hopping as your balance changes as you slide about even with extra socks! I've had thighs (!!) almost all my fishing life and find them great for sloshing around on muddy coasts and where I have to wade to either cast or get to a mark early on a falling tide. Must be said I used to take mine off once I boarded the boat even when going to a shore mark, when I would re-robe!

I've tried on a pair of the breathable chesties with a stocking foot (ready for you to put on your separate waterproof boots) They felt great but the boots are a problem. As has been mentioned they often come with Felt soles which would be fine if you're on sand or rocks all the time. However I'm not too sure about mud and gravel (digging bait?) You can get cleated boots but then you're back to having wellies really, unless I'm missing something! It's all about staying on your feet and not gettting too wet from condensation! (Amongst other things, as I have not sen one with a fly yet!)

The PVCs are so cheap it's almost worth buying chesties and buying another pair when they inevitably give way! However perhaps the Welly-booted Neos. are the compromise particularly for Winter when they help with staving off the frostbite.
Let us know what you get and how they perform.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bit a while sri .. thanks for your replies ... went for swellymans advice as i borrowed some neo's (talk about tooooo warm) i went for some pvc chesties for now .. cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts