World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

looking for a bit of advice on wading boot soles please.

from what i've read this week it doesn't seem as there is a sole that is suitable for rocks, weed and sand so was wondering what soles you would recommend.

I can be fishing anything from beaches to rock marks and also have to consider the grassy slopes down to the marks. They will also be used for freshwater fishing so likely to come across mud, gravel and stones also.

its a big ask i know but what do people recommend, based on experience?

cheers, Marc

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a fairly cheap pair of wading boots that have those felt soles. They are lethal and i wont be going down that route on my next pair of wading boots.

I fish with a guy who uses a pair of greys wading boots, possibly the platinum ones?, and he seems to have way more grip than me on all surfaces. It's very evident why when you look at the soles!

I suppose like all things it depends on yer budget. The bison ones i have are delivered for about £50, the greys for a little over £100. Good possibility you'll get twice as long out of the greys given the fact that the lace rings rust up on the bison ones. Maybe you can find a middle ground that suits ur budget somewhere but i think these 2 define either end of the scale on wading boots unless you plan on goin for a pair of those Simms rivershaed that also look good for a few extra quid!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I have a fairly cheap pair of wading boots that have those felt soles. They are lethal and i wont be going down that route on my next pair of wading boots.

I fish with a guy who uses a pair of greys wading boots, possibly the platinum ones?, and he seems to have way more grip than me on all surfaces. It's very evident why when you look at the soles!

I suppose like all things it depends on yer budget. The bison ones i have are delivered for about £50, the greys for a little over £100. Good possibility you'll get twice as long out of the greys given the fact that the lace rings rust up on the bison ones. Maybe you can find a middle ground that suits ur budget somewhere but i think these 2 define either end of the scale on wading boots unless you plan on goin for a pair of those Simms rivershaed that also look good for a few extra quid!
Despite the rusting the Bisons outlast the Greys one about 3 to 1, honestly the Platinum's have good grip and that is where it ends. They offer no support and after a while you feel like there are no soles and your walking on the studs - agony.

I have the Korkers Chrome, yes they are expensive in this country, not to bad a price in the US, I think they may have cracked it this time and produced what may be the best wading boot. Choose the sole you want, my preference in the rubber cling-on with studs, a few twists on the wire lace system and they are on and after the session you'll have both boots off whilst others are still trying to undo there laces.

As with over boots I've owned though it's only after a fair amount of use that you know how well they are going to stand up to the salt, I have high hope for the Chrome though.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks fella's,

you've confirmed my thoughts that rubber with studs is probably the most generally suitable.

They will only be used infrequently so i'm not too concerned about longevity (as long as they don't fall apart after the first few trips).. grip and the pain of walking on rocks in thin soles are my prime concerns, followed by price (unfortunately i can't justify £100 odd for occassional use).

cheers all,

Marc

·
Registered
135 Posts
Apologies, thread hijack! Has anybody tried adding more studs to felt soles other than what is supplied with the boots. Would just love if these bisons were a bit grippier on the rocks cos they're plenty comfortable.

Interesting bout the rust issue with the grey's, looks like you dont always get what you pay for.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
62,583 Posts
Apologies, thread hijack! Has anybody tried adding more studs to felt soles other than what is supplied with the boots. Would just love if these bisons were a bit grippier on the rocks cos they're plenty comfortable.

Interesting bout the rust issue with the grey's, looks like you dont always get what you pay for.
Gerry I massively overload my Simms boot soles with studs as it helps me on the wet grass etc.
I stick them 'everywhere' I can and find that it helps big time especially when a bit of a climb is needed....

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have been using some £16 Campari walking boots from sports direct
for the last two years both in the UK and US and they have been great on most surfaces. At a tenth of the price of my previous boots I will not be buying overpriced propriatory wading boots again.

They are used in the salt at least 3 times a week and I never wash them.

Mo

·
Registered
599 Posts
I use Orvis Henry's Fork wading boots. Excellent quick release laces, and the boots have lasted in the salt for 3 years so far. Soles are felt with studs. Good grip generally, except on muddy banks. You need something with hard edges to cut into soft ground - all felt and studs just doesn't do it.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I have been using some £16 Campari walking boots from sports direct
for the last two years both in the UK and US and they have been great on most surfaces. At a tenth of the price of my previous boots I will not be buying overpriced propriatory wading boots again.

They are used in the salt at least 3 times a week and I never wash them.

Mo
cheers for that ,do you get a size larger..campri lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use a pair 1 size larger, they do have two metal lace hooks at the top of the boot which corrode away but I just use the holes left now.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well lads, looked at every boot on the market and struggling to find anything less than around £80 minimum.

i'm not particularly tight but they will only be used a few times each year so i'm a bit put off spending too much.

those Campri boots with studs look as though they might have potential.. can you tell me what they are like on sharp rocks MO Lech? can you feel rocks through the soles at all mate?

cheers,

Marc

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Nick,

as i'd be using them in freshwater as much as the sea i'm thinking a rubber sole with studs is my best bet to cover all eventualities. i read that felt doesn't last too long on sand as well.

i know you prefer felt soles with studs Nick but i'm not convinced they are the right thing for me.

cheers for the suggestions though mate.

cheers also Nos4r2 but the soles look too thin to stop sharp rocks hurting. a mate of mine is into sailing and he uses that type of boot. he recently told me that even stones hurt when getting the boat on/off the trailer so i'd dismissed them.

the search continues but it seems i try either a cheap pair of walking boots with studs or go the whole hog and get some with vibram soles and studs. just concerned the cheap pair will have poor grip.

cheers for the help lads. a recent bass trip has highlighted that i'm limited without a pair of chesties.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi Marc,

I have used the cheap boots on the chalk ledges around the kent coast , rock marks in the west country and on the sandy beaches and flats in cape cod they have performed well on all those terrains. You can feel sharp edges through the sole but not to the point of discomfort.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts