World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why it took me so long but I've just started using my old (collapsible) Snowbee wading stick on night marks. These usually need 20m of wading through shallow, weedy,rocky water to reach the kelp beds, and at night that's hard work. I never go more than knee/thigh deep but a stick gives you that extra stability, and you're not tempted to switch your headlamp on. I attach it to my belt with a lanyard, and it doesn't get in my way. I won't fish without now- do any of you use them?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not used one for bass fishing as I am always on the rocks but I have used one when wading in the river and it was almost a necessity! used to use my tripod as a wading stick when night fishing beaches at low water and wading through the deep gullies, and on the big old spinning rod the rod butt would always come in handy when hoping round rocks but never dunked the reel ! Would think when wading certain marks some people would find them really helpful and they do help improve safety so might be a good idea ! Be interesting to see if anybody does use them and there opinions. I personally would definitely think about using one in the conditions you describe especially in deeper water without a headtorch, could even be helpful on land when walking to and from marks and think from a safety perspective you've raised a good question !!

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
I havnt used one on the shore yet but started using one in the river. The river i fish is all round slippery boulders. Even studded boots dont help a lot. After stumbling a few times i cut a stick from a hazel. The difference it makes is amazing. Looking to get a proper wading staff now

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think most people using a wading stick have probably come from fishing on rivers for either trout or salmon and it's not common for sea fishing but do think if more people tried them they would find them very useful in certain conditions.

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
I havnt used one on the shore yet but started using one in the river. The river i fish is all round slippery boulders. Even studded boots dont help a lot. After stumbling a few times i cut a stick from a hazel. The difference it makes is amazing. Looking to get a proper wading staff now
A stout hazel thumb stick with the bottom centre drilled out and filled with lead and a rubber walking stick end glued on IS a proper wading staff !
DIY made to fit your height it will last for years !

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
safety in mind first so ... when night fishing , i use a aluminium walking stick for rough ground (maximum 10 euro) attached to my belt with a elastic lanyard , very useful when it's slipery or/and you are tired .
that's all you need ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
A few years ago I nearly got washed away whilst salmon fishing on the Tyne. At the time I was using a traditional hazel wading staff, it wasn't up to the job, looked nice but when really needed wasn't any good.
Since then I have been using a carbon carp landing net handle with the extension glued ito the outer, filled with 14oz of lead, rubber grips on top and a second one a few inches lower, bottom one has a concrete screw up into it for grip on rocks.
Very strong and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
A few years ago I nearly got washed away whilst salmon fishing on the Tyne. At the time I was using a traditional hazel wading staff, it wasn't up to the job, looked nice but when really needed wasn't any good.
Since then I have been using a carbon carp landing net handle with the extension glued ito the outer, filled with 14oz of lead, rubber grips on top and a second one a few inches lower, bottom one has a concrete screw up into it for grip on rocks.
Very strong and it works perfectly.
I would be interested to know how the hazel staff failed you .
Solid slimy rock with no metal point on the staff?
Too thin , too thick ,too short , not loaded properly ?
IMO a carbon fibre tube is far easier to damage and possibly let you down in a dramatic fashion !
The wading staff not doing what it is meant to do is often an indicator that you should not be out there and is not a fault of the staff itself .

·
Registered
147 Posts
I know I ought to use one, especially at night, but I don't. Still taking too many risks at an age when I should know much better. I'll be following the advice of some on here and cutting a piece of hazel in the near future.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My balance isn’t perfect and I wouldn’t be without my pussy stick. Old bankstick with a mountainbike handlebar grip stuck on the end, paracord leash to my waist. Easy.
That's what I've settled on, an old four foot bankstick, with some rubber tape for the handle. I've even marked it for use as a ruler- up to a rather optimistic 90cm. I am finding it useful on my treks to my marks too, the coast path is worn and uneven, and I can batter down the brambles and nettles on my out of the way spots. My old Snowbee collapsible stick was just that- collapsible, but when you don't want it. I see the same design is selling for £45, fool the salmon fishers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts