World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out on some casting practice recently , i made a effort to give the lead time to travel the arc (pendulum cast) on doing this i noticed that the rod became taught / heavy at a certain point, as if the lead was pulling the tip , can someone tell me what's happening here ie where is the lead in relation to the rod and am i right in saying that the rod pulling on the rod tip is what i should be aiming for during the cast , and if so what would be my next step please ? advice / help appreciated ...

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
That’s called being in contact and is what you should b aiming for sounds like it’s going the rite way
I 2nd exactly this! I absolutely love the feel of the rod as its getting compressed.! Tighter n TIGHTER till it transforms into a heavily stored sensation built up of power! ! Then turn with it and make sure u hold that compression and pull/punch as fast/hard as u can skywards a pure heavenly feel.!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I find that if I get the timing correct and wait for the lead to set out in the arc the feeling of weight on the rod is minimal as the lead pulls out and loads the blank allowing for a fast pull/push finish.

When doing the high swing it is even more important as turning into the cast too early especially with a stiff tipped rod will see the lead crash into the deck .

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Interesting, do you mean you can feel the lead pull on the tip during the inswing before you turn to hit or do you mean the rod is feeling really heavy/stiff when hitting the cast? if its when hitting the cast its known as "bite back" and could be the signs of a mistimed cast.

All my best casts have felt effortless really, i can still feel the butt bend and the power there but the rod does not feel "heavy" like your hitting a brick wall, i have had that feeling though and thought this was from a mistimed cast?

Still learning and trying to perfect my cast myself though so i could be wrong lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, do you mean you can feel the lead pull on the tip during the inswing before you turn to hit or do you mean the rod is feeling really heavy/stiff when hitting the cast? if its when hitting the cast its known as "bite back" and could be the signs of a mistimed cast.

All my best casts have felt effortless really, i can still feel the butt bend and the power there but the rod does not feel "heavy" like your hitting a brick wall, i have had that feeling though and thought this was from a mistimed cast?

Still learning and trying to perfect my cast myself though so i could be wrong lol
I have been making an effort to let the lead travel round to get it outside the tip , to then apply power , the weight does not appear to pull on the rod tip until i get to a certain point of which appears to be a heavy feeling as if the lead is pulling the tip / load , this loading develops after i have given the lead time to travel , i have no idea where the lead is at this point , i really need to video myself to see what's happening , was kinda hopeing that this lead pulling is what is known as the preload , to then maintain prior to power .......

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have been making an effort to let the lead travel round to get it outside the tip , to then apply power , the weight does not appear to pull on the rod tip until i get to a certain point of which appears to be a heavy feeling as if the lead is pulling the tip / load , this loading develops after i have given the lead time to travel , i have no idea where the lead is at this point , i really need to video myself to see what's happening , was kinda hopeing that this lead pulling is what is known as the preload , to then maintain prior to power .......
It could be mate, the rod shouldnt really feel solid though, should continue to bend through the cast, i think im right anyway lol as like i said all my best casts have felt effortless really but can still feel the power build up during the cast,im far from an expert though and have problems myself on and off lol

feels like im always learning when casting and where im self taught ( apart from a day casting with tony jones :) ) i find myself sometimes casting great, sometimes WAY to the left for no apparent reason and sometimes hitting the floor hahaha

@Jeremy Schrader is a amazing caster and knows MUCH more than i do, hopefully he can say whether im right or wrong with what ive said as i would like to know myself lol will post a vid of me casting in a mo to show you where im at

I still need a LOT of work as ive changed styles soooo many times and picked up bad habbits that i have had to try and sort out myself, thats the downside to learning yourself :(

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Decent fishing cast , one thing take a step with your left leg to transfer your weight but a nice smooth cast all the same.
Thanks :) i wasnt casting too bad that day, some days it goes terribly wrong lol the thing i lack most is consistency, some fishing trips im putting the bait a very long way with little effort and casting dead straight,
other times im casting WAY to the left and hitting the floor on occasions lol im probably the most inconsistent caster in the U.K hahahahaaaaa

Luke

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Thanks :) i wasnt casting too bad that day, some days it goes terribly wrong lol the thing i lack most is consistency, some fishing trips im putting the bait a very long way with little effort and casting dead straight,
other times im casting WAY to the left and hitting the floor on occasions lol im probably the most inconsistent caster in the U.K hahahahaaaaa

Luke
Ive been back casting now for 33 years but I don't always get it right just to cheer you up , its a case of plodding on and you get there in the end . What you normally find is only one thing you do when your casting well your not doing it when your casting crap . Get some one to video you when your casting well and when your casting crap and compare them .

·
Registered
249 Posts

Hi lads

Here’s where I’m at . Cast is Pretty straight but can’t seem to get any further that 165.

Had a load of casts the other night and measured the decent ones . All were pretty much from 160-165 . Cast works lovely for fishing but would like to know how to bang it further . Any tips welcome

·
Registered
4,872 Posts

Hi lads

Here’s where I’m at . Cast is Pretty straight but can’t seem to get any further that 165.

Had a load of casts the other night and measured the decent ones . All were pretty much from 160-165 . Cast works lovely for fishing but would like to know how to bang it further . Any tips welcome
The right arm looks stunted in the power stroke

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Push with the top hand, keep the arm out (it doesn't need to be fully locked) push with the bottom hand. Trying to lift the lead on the back cast is a classic fault that your falling into.
As for the locked right arm, thats a bit of a myth it needs to be pushed out but you need some bend to allow you to hit the cast at the end and cushion the swing. Just don't let the top arm collapse or try to push the cast, its all about pushing and pulling around that top hand. Your left hand is critical in the final pull and is what gives ALL the big casters their distance, pull hard with the left on the final casting stroke.

Get yourself some lessons or go to a casting event. Practicing and tuition by social media is no replacement for hands on tuition where faults are easier to spot.
There are so many variations of pendulum cast and everyone is different, just some basic principles to follow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts