World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of a belated report..

After a couple of weeks away I fancied a proper bit of fishing despite the parcity of whats on offer at the mo. I got a /2lb of rag from James in the afternoon and managed to get to the beach around 7.30 p.m.

I didn't really have any expectations and to be honest was in a bit of a muddle as to where to go and what to do.

LW was around about 10 ish. As I walked over the left hand bridge over the creek which was bombing out seaward I noticed a few fish topping where the creek broadens out near to it's joining with the river. Propping the gear up on the gate I went for a closer inspection expecting to see evidence of the Mullet shoal at work.
Then sure enough I saw a few small spines above the water on the edges of the channel.

Quickly thinking what I might have in the van that might trick a Mullet I squelched my way back to the bridge and thence the van and returned brandishing my lightweight spinning rod coupled with a 4 inch piece of Bamboo cane that was lying around on the floor, bait banded onto the line with a size 10, 6 inches underneath, baited with a tiny piece of Ragworm.
That'll do it I thought.

First trot down, the piece of Bamboo shot across the surface and in came a Bass of about 4 inches, then another and so on. I spent a good hour or so picking off Bass, the biggest probably coming in at a regal 10 oz's or so. Not Mullet after all but great fun

The evening was closing in so I headed down to the beach. Got set up just before dark proper and the last hour or so of the ebb.
The first couple of lobs resulted in bootlaces which churned up my rigs good and proper and then a couple more and so on until close to desperation they stopped just before the top of the tide. 6 or so hooks down.

The tide turned fairly sharpish and backfilled the shallow, wonky marrow shaped low thats started to form inbetween the shoreline and the back of the beach close to the old broken harbour walls.

Half an hour after the turn the Bass turned on and I must of had 15 in all, mostly on my Carp rod with a light bomb cast towards the rocks against the wall, wary of the broken woodwork.

Packing up at around midnight, the Bass total for the evening would probably be somewhere in the region of 30 for a grand total of around 4-5lb's at the very most. Some of the fish were 3 inches long, handsome little devils and a good sign for the future if they make it that far. The Eels too although unwelcome for a fisherman are a good sign for a species that seems to be in a steady decline.

What with the lack of Sole, larger Bass and the temperamental sea for the N.Norfolk Mackerel, this Summer's shaping up to be fairly poor fish wise but I'll still take a night on the beach over an evenings telly or pub.

Cheers

Dan T

·
Registered
950 Posts
Nice report Dan its not always about what size the fish are its about getting out and having a go. Them little ones can be good sport on light gear when nothing else is obliging.
Dabslayer

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Dabs.

It was good fun messing about with those Basslets in the creek and nice to see so many small fish. The Blyth must be a nursery area of sorts.
I did forget to metion that halfway through I had a clonking bite and a plucky little struggle with a Codling of around 30/32 cm's taken on a tiny bit of rag about 20 yards out. Must of been a resident..

·
Registered
983 Posts
Good report as per usual Dan,
good to hear you managed to get out for a few hours.
If would be nice to think a good proportion of those young Bass will grow up to be large mature fish - if only eh?
I had a look over the Bure Estuary near Asda in GY early last Saturday morning, the surface was alive with small Bass topping and jumping clean out of the water, it was almost like a "B" Piranha movie there were so many of them, I have certainly not seen anything quite like it before.
I may have a fish there Friday evening, I have heard there have been a few good quality fish taken as well as the small stuff.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Mack..

It would be nice to think that a few of those fish might make it on in size. I should think it's when they run offshore and South in the Winter that they enter peril.
If you fancy a bit of company for a Breydon bash let me know, it's always interesting trying things out.

I think I'm going to give the beachcasting thing a break for a bit and have a tinker with freshwater style tactics in some of these estuarys. A whitebait sized/coloured plug or spinner might be the ticket. All being well I shall have a crack on an evening early flood for a few hours down past the Bailey Bridge this weekend..

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Nice write up there Dan good stuff as ever. Interested in Macks post sounds like a cauldron of activity. News of a few swirlers along the shingle during the last day or so, time of year they start taking advantage of all the easy pickings. I'm gonna try and get the poppers out.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers there BJ.

I think I might join the Mack on Friday evening if the traffic works out ok as I'm up North at the mo. You've served me a reminder re: the poppers, great fun if you get them chasing the plugs on the surface.

Talking of news down the grapevine I've heard of a catch of half a dozen Bass to 7lb's from the river at Southwold all taken on Peeler. Don't know if anyone can shed any light on that. Pretty nifty catch that, if it's true..

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Cheers there BJ.

I think I might join the Mack on Friday evening if the traffic works out ok as I'm up North at the mo. You've served me a reminder re: the poppers, great fun if you get them chasing the plugs on the surface.

Talking of news down the grapevine I've heard of a catch of half a dozen Bass to 7lb's from the river at Southwold all taken on Peeler. Don't know if anyone can shed any light on that. Pretty nifty catch that, if it's true..
Sounds fun. If you go to ASDA I suppose a lot will depend on the tide and the amount of water and colour (after the rains) ****ing through. If it'd too fast you'll get a lot of drag on a surface lure, which can put 'em off. We like the "chub bug" and foamed up conned head flies (fished on a fly rod), on the rare occasions you can get 'em up on this part of the coast.
Re Sothy: I wouldn't be at all suprised, the otherside is full of potential and sometimes delivers in these conditons.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I reckon you might well be proved spot on as per BJ. I hadn't given the rain and colour much of a thought. Whats it been like over the last week in Nfk as I've been up North of Derby all week? I'm guessing bad. If I make it I'm going to have a go at trotting for the Bass.

This weekend look set for evening flood tides which is good news for this kind of fishing.

Thats a familiar scene and a good pic. This time last year after seeing a young lad breezily stroll down the riverside concrete plinth on the W'berswick side with a rucksack full of good Bass I attempted the same route. I made it about 10 metres before everything started to go a bit wobbly and I had to sit down and edge my way back. No Bass is worth a dunk in that little lot..

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I reckon you might well be proved spot on as per BJ. I hadn't given the rain and colour much of a thought. Whats it been like over the last week in Nfk as I've been up North of Derby all week? I'm guessing bad. If I make it I'm going to have a go at trotting for the Bass.

This weekend look set for evening flood tides which is good news for this kind of fishing.

Thats a familiar scene and a good pic. This time last year after seeing a young lad breezily stroll down the riverside concrete plinth on the W'berswick side with a rucksack full of good Bass I attempted the same route. I made it about 10 metres before everything started to go a bit wobbly and I had to sit down and edge my way back. No Bass is worth a dunk in that little lot..
Pretty darn wet mate. A lot of harvest still to do. Got soaked Wednesday when out decoying, but they plucked easier today.
Good ol deluge in Norfolk, Aylsham had an inch and a half in 40 mins, Tues. Yer trotting idea is a sound one in the estuaries. You sometimes see fishing oft the wood on the wobbly side, and if you have the heart good luck. There's the river and the sea, has to be a lads game. I guess when the bigger bass are running the river they are inshore. So, accordingly to your news Dan it is reasonable to assume they might root around the structures. The times (flood or ebb) to fish either the wobbly side or Southy way are pretty obvious and recorded. Hopefully a few will get pulled out and it's difficult for netters to have a say in this spot.
Tides on the shingle suit an early doors approach at the weekend, water clarity is better than you'd think if you follow the forecasts. I might well call in on a different bit of stubble that way Saturday. If i go I'll let you know how I do.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Theres n'er safe hide for fish nor fowl, with a bluejacket on the prowl, with time and the tide on his side....

An inch and a half in 40 mins is some going. What a Summer. Can't be much cop for the harvest. Is it starting to mould up a bit?

I'll have me a decent Bass before the Summers out if I'm dammed. Gonna have a crack up past the bailey bridge near the boats, jettys and creeks too. Theres plenty of Mullet in the Blyth at the moment but if I start thinking about them I'll send myself dollally.

Good luck and let us know how you get on if you go BJ.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Lol, they just taunt me and give me the ol' runneround, the beggars!
If you can get it in the yeilds are very good i'm told. Still some barley uncut, some haven't started the wheat yet. We'll see where the prices end up, but it doesn't look like it will pull the price of a loaf back.
I haven't fished up near the bailey for a while. There used to be an outlet pipe the sailing club side which made the water bubble and the fry used to like the oxygen and the bass would slap at them. Past the bridge was an inlet where there was a back eddy, another good spot.
I think I saw somewhere that you were hatched just oft the Yare? I don't know whether you know the Berny Arms bit but when Breydon was full and the rivers were brimming (they are pretty full now) there were some good mullet up there. For whatever reason they were the easiest mullet to catch. As we all know they can be the most frustrating things to hook, but the fish on Breydon would just gulp it down.
If I have look tomorrow i'll post. A few mates are up there tonight and if the waters good I might well have a dabble. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
good write up dan
good luck with those mullet too,they're guaranteed to drive a man crazy:wacko::wallbash::bounce::cry:as for the bass in the harbour.I can't confirm,but i do know the river is full of schoolie's,especialy near the concrete emplacments,just past the dog leg.Also the occasional wrasse coming out too,with one or two pollack and an alleged coalfish!!!!!
who knows what you can get at the moment,but what ever it is it's gonna be fun trying!
hope to have a go for a sole myself at southy saturday night so fingers crossed
Spratty:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers fellas..

Good luck with your evenings Sole Fishing there Spratty. I've had a few reasonable Mullet from the Blyth over the years, nothing to big, up to around 3'ish, went like hell they did too.
I've spotted a couple real good un's in amongst, knocking bread out of the bread bag but would they even look at a flake on the hook. Even tried a tiny baited Mepps but gave up when I could of sworn I saw them laughing. Gonna try white maggots next time.

BJ I know the bits you mean on the Blyth but I can't for the life of me remember if that inlets still working. I know where you are at the Berney. We used to bike across the marshes from Halvergate. We'd get Roach on one tide and the Flounders on the next, great fun, remember it well. We used to spot the Mullet nosing the weed but we couldn't get anywhere near them, guile wasn't one of our lots strong points

I missed the Mack down on Breydon this evening, didn't get into K'Lynn on the way back from up-North till 6.30 so motored on down to the Upper Bure for a late evenings Chub fishing. Gonna head that way in the morning and then maybe up onto the Shingle to see what's what. Havn't been up there for quite a while.

BJ let me know where you're gonna be if you go and I might pop along and say hello.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Cheers fellas..

Good luck with your evenings Sole Fishing there Spratty. I've had a few reasonable Mullet from the Blyth over the years, nothing to big, up to around 3'ish, went like hell they did too.
I've spotted a couple real good un's in amongst, knocking bread out of the bread bag but would they even look at a flake on the hook. Even tried a tiny baited Mepps but gave up when I could of sworn I saw them laughing. Gonna try white maggots next time.

BJ I know the bits you mean on the Blyth but I can't for the life of me remember if that inlets still working. I know where you are at the Berney. We used to bike across the marshes from Halvergate. We'd get Roach on one tide and the Flounders on the next, great fun, remember it well. We used to spot the Mullet nosing the weed but we couldn't get anywhere near them, guile wasn't one of our lots strong points

I missed the Mack down on Breydon this evening, didn't get into K'Lynn on the way back from up-North till 6.30 so motored on down to the Upper Bure for a late evenings Chub fishing. Gonna head that way in the morning and then maybe up onto the Shingle to see what's what. Havn't been up there for quite a while.

BJ let me know where you're gonna be if you go and I might pop along and say hello.
You didn't miss much Dan, there were people fishing in the spot where I wanted to fish. Gave it a go for a couple of hours for one micro bass then called it a night as I was knackered.
Popped up to Cley this morning and got a few Macks, 1st time I've ever fished there, has a desolate sort of beauty that kinda reminds me of Orford.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello Shaun..

Shame you didn't get a few. Sounds like it might still be worth a go in the coming weeks though.
I'm heading up North Norfolk way to have another evening on the Bure and then off to fish an estate lake up that way early tomorrow morning. After which I think I'm go and check the shingle out, don't know that way too well really so on your recommendation of the spot alone I'll have a look at Cley. If it's a lovely spot you've got nothing to lose..

Cheers..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts