World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a question i HOPE someone can answer,do dolphins blow water at least 5ft out of there water??? i ask because myself and the good lady wife were looking out over the sea from the beach at tal-y-bont only to see 1 then 2 water spouts coming up from the sea not 150m out,this was at low tide,and on a flat beach we were not in a position to look down at the sea,however we (tracked)whatever it/they were by following there blows and also there dorsal fins (THEY WERE BIG)so is there any or has there been any more sighting of this??whatever it/they were did NOT behave like a dolphin so any ideas, p/s i will add i thought i saw a big dark shadow in the water,but it was just before we lost sight of the blows,it might just have been a cloud shodow but we will never now,:unsure:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Could well be a whale, many species of whale are around the British coast ranging from bottlenose dolphin to humpback whales. We are getting some weird creatures that were previously rare visitors to our shores that are more and more frequent. I think they follow the food and gulf stream up and the warmer it gets the closer they are.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Nice report mate!

I was back up Uwchmynydd this morning and though the fishing went dead towards LW slack I saw a huge pod of dolphins moving through the sound. Took a few pix - if any of them are any good I'll add them to this North Wales Cetaceans thread :)

Such a fine sight!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Years ago when a callow youth saw a Pilot Whale (?) trapped one Sunday by the shadows of the two Straits bridges. She swam around with her calf and when she hit bottom rose out of the sea at least 6'!!! Well at my age it now seems that high! An unforgetable sight but no camera in those days. The calf was the size of a cow's calf if you follow!

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
i have seen small whales off abersoch. the mark i fish from [shore] we have seen porpoises, dolphins and on the one occasion a pair of small whales.

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
here is a question i HOPE someone can answer,do dolphins blow water at least 5ft out of there water??? i ask because myself and the good lady wife were looking out over the sea from the beach at tal-y-bont only to see 1 then 2 water spouts coming up from the sea not 150m out,this was at low tide,and on a flat beach we were not in a position to look down at the sea,however we (tracked)whatever it/they were by following there blows and also there dorsal fins (THEY WERE BIG)so is there any or has there been any more sighting of this??whatever it/they were did NOT behave like a dolphin so any ideas, p/s i will add i thought i saw a big dark shadow in the water,but it was just before we lost sight of the blows,it might just have been a cloud shodow but we will never now,:unsure:
hi scottonjayne bottlenose are much bigger than people think and are now common site around are shores,and yes plenty of differnant whales see around coast,last time was down that way someone had seen a minkle whale there so m:)ite been that.shaggy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi all

Firstly, a quick introduction... I've been lurking on the forum for a while now, reading all the posts and have to thank everyone for sharing their adventures. I got into shore based angling last year, inspired by a neighbour and a love of fish suppers!

Living down here on the Lleyn I realised it was about time to go and catch my own. Years ago, as a youth back in my native Yorshire, I was obsessed by coarse fishing but never caught much.. but saw a lot of wildlife. This developed into obsessive compulsive birding and and a love of nature. Can't say much has changed i.e. catch little, see a lot! :g: - with my recent conversion to sea fishing - I do it as much as an excuse to sit by the sea and watch the gannets, terns etc.

Which brings me to this post. I have been interested in cetaceans for a while and have seen a few species (Bottle-nose Dolphin, Harbour Porpoise and the rare Risso's Dolphin) in these parts when birding/fishing. I lived briefly on Ynys Enlli/Bardsey Island a few years ago and did a lot of volunteering for the Bardsey Bird and Field Observatory who have been studying the island and it's surrounding waters since 1953. They publish an annual report of what's been seen and are also working closely with the Whale & Dolphin Conservation Society to monitor the waters of Cardigan Bay for these fascinating marine mammals.

I'm sure these organisations would be really interested in further details of your sighting of this large pod John as WDCS were up surveying from boat and shore just the other week. All information helps to establish the true status of these species in the area, and with such knowldege conservation measures can be drawn up for these threatened species.

I'm a strong believer in forging strong links between all parties who have a concern for the welfare of our seas, have just joined Sea Anglers Conservation Network who seem to be doing some great work. I'd be glad to forward any data/sightings. On a personal level it would be just great to see the photos John!

I saw two large Bottle-nose Dolphins while fishing for a few hours over high water yesterday afternoon off Rhiw. Caught ten Mackerel and half a dozen small (to 1 1/2 lb) Pollack on white feathers with most returned, and a few ready for dinner.

I think I might be on the slippery slope to being a keen angler... so expect lots of basic questions and reports on blanking in future fromthis novice!
It seems like there are quite a few experienced anglers and real characters on this forum - and I thought that just birders were an obsessive compulsive bunch! :rolleyes:

If anyone ever fancied sharing advice on fishing from this area I'd be keen to hear from them.

Best wishes

Andrew

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
Hi all

Firstly, a quick introduction... I've been lurking on the forum for a while now, reading all the posts and have to thank everyone for sharing their adventures. I got into shore based angling last year, inspired by a neighbour and a love of fish suppers!

Living down here on the Lleyn I realised it was about time to go and catch my own. Years ago, as a youth back in my native Yorshire, I was obsessed by coarse fishing but never caught much.. but saw a lot of wildlife. This developed into obsessive compulsive birding and and a love of nature. Can't say much has changed i.e. catch little, see a lot! :g: - with my recent conversion to sea fishing - I do it as much as an excuse to sit by the sea and watch the gannets, terns etc.

Which brings me to this post. I have been interested in cetaceans for a while and have seen a few species (Bottle-nose Dolphin, Harbour Porpoise and the rare Risso's Dolphin) in these parts when birding/fishing. I lived briefly on Ynys Enlli/Bardsey Island a few years ago and did a lot of volunteering for the Bardsey Bird and Field Observatory who have been studying the island and it's surrounding waters since 1953. They publish an annual report of what's been seen and are also working closely with the Whale & Dolphin Conservation Society to monitor the waters of Cardigan Bay for these fascinating marine mammals.

I'm sure these organisations would be really interested in further details of your sighting of this large pod John as WDCS were up surveying from boat and shore just the other week. All information helps to establish the true status of these species in the area, and with such knowldege conservation measures can be drawn up for these threatened species.

I'm a strong believer in forging strong links between all parties who have a concern for the welfare of our seas, have just joined Sea Anglers Conservation Network who seem to be doing some great work. I'd be glad to forward any data/sightings. On a personal level it would be just great to see the photos John!

I saw two large Bottle-nose Dolphins while fishing for a few hours over high water yesterday afternoon off Rhiw. Caught ten Mackerel and half a dozen small (to 1 1/2 lb) Pollack on white feathers with most returned, and a few ready for dinner.

I think I might be on the slippery slope to being a keen angler... so expect lots of basic questions and reports on blanking in future fromthis novice!
It seems like there are quite a few experienced anglers and real characters on this forum - and I thought that just birders were an obsessive compulsive bunch! :rolleyes:

If anyone ever fancied sharing advice on fishing from this area I'd be keen to hear from them.

Best wishes

Andrew
hi andrew welcome to site.shaggy:)

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Hi all

Best wishes

Andrew
Welcome mate!

I'll forward the observation on tomorrow if it's useful - I won't have photos for a while as I still use Fujichrome but will post in due course if worth doing so!

That SW tip of the Lleyn is so amazing I am happy to drive 70 miles each way just for a good exposed rock-scramble, macky-bash and a general chill-out, soaking up the scenery, birdwatching, taking photos and looking out for interesting marine life! One "fix" of that each 7 days sets me up for the week!

The exposure also keeps these marks squeaky-clean. The occasional 2-3cm bit of snipped mono that's dropped down a crack is all you ever tend to see!

I'll be back up there soon, when the swell drops away, perhaps the week after next. PM me if you want some company from the Machynlleth Contingent - usually just Alun & myself!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just had a week with a few fellow yakkers down at Tywyn catching a few nice Tope but on the paddle home last Monday night as we neared the town I had the biggest fright of my life.
I was trailing a handline for a few Mackies for supper and was just looking behind me checking the line, when the kayak was hit by something. As I turned around I saw a big black back gliding under the hull. My initial thought after the shock was it was a Porgie but soon realised it was one the local Bottlenose Dolphins.
I've seen hundreds of them over the years along this coast, often close up, but I've never been bashed by one before. For the next ten minutes or so, me and one of the other lads were treated to an awesome display as four of them but two in particular continually circled right below us and then surfacing between the yaks gave us the eyeball.
They had appeared out of nowhere and it was as if they were up for showing off to us and the nudge was them saying "We're here".
We got a few pics and after a cracking days fishing they were the icing on the cake!!!

nifty.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the welcome people!

John, look forward to having a look at the photos in due course if possible. Will pm you in next few days re: possible meeting.

Nifty and lurelover - crikey what a thing to encounter - they're nearly as big as the yaks! Excellent photos, certainly would make my day seeing them so close. Good job they're friendly beasts!!!!!

All the best

Andrew

·
MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,506 Posts
Could well be a whale, many species of whale are around the British coast ranging from bottlenose dolphin to humpback whales. We are getting some weird creatures that were previously rare visitors to our shores that are more and more frequent. I think they follow the food and gulf stream up and the warmer it gets the closer they are.
well your on about weired creatures look at this caught off rhyll last week lol...andy ilsf..and the hands of the catchers were suntanned in april nice tan innit eh?bait used was half a cow on a two ton pennel held on with whipping rope ..lol

check out the bucket link below for more pics ilsf...

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Just one caption really - "Where can you get a National Health Dentist when you want one?!"

Otherwise ... what fantastic Kayak photos!! Got a feeling that had it been me in your 'shoes' that i'd have churned up the sea making for shore and that the inside of the craft would have needed dooderising and washing out BIGTIME!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts