World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was advised yesterday that the current tides are "too big" to fish the channel. Do the experts agree?

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
if the wind is howling up the channel, even on reasonable tides, the slipway area is a place to avoid, unless you want to find yourself clinging to the security fence, trying to catch the eye of the security guards inside.:lmao::lmao:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was advised yesterday that the current tides are "too big" to fish the channel. Do the experts agree?
hi dave the channel is best fished on tides nothing above an 8.2m anything above this is ok but only for the first 2 hours of the flood and then the run is just to strong. but if your going to fish the top end of the channel at roa island in copes hole then the big tides are what you need 2 hours either side of low water hope this helps

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hope your sorted now dave.

As ged says the channel should be fished on tides no bigger than 8.2, especially if your planning fishing south of Jubilee Bridge.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aye......

Not knowing I shouldn't be there, I fished next to the pumping house (deep water berth) the other night. One small eel and lots of snag ups on the weed. Snapped the 30lb line I was using as shock. Damn near took my fingertips off. Stung a bit:laugh:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
gulp common sense has to be applied when fishing channels in between islands or man made structures the bigger the tide the more volume of water moving between the gap making it difficult to hold the bottom
sometimes the uptide approach will yeild more bites can be hard work !small tides easy fishing but there may be a lack of fish float fishing can pay big time in big tide rips trotting a float down or bubble float fish a big weight an hold it back so the float holds in the tide can be exiting fishing hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Tony.

The main reason I asked was that the the run on the day was much less than I would have expected for such a big tide.

Believe you me....the weed meant holding the bottom was no problem! I was working on the theory that it would hide food for the starving fish. But they were obviously not thinking like I was. Or more to the point........I wasn't thinking like they were:laugh:

I've certainly had good results letting my rig run with the tide elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
i fished the channel on a 9.6, never again lol i casted out to the left and it just swung right round to the right, i think ile stick to smaller tides lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.