World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thirteen of us fished in a horrible easterly wind and I was hoping there would be a doggy or even a ray, but the conditions weren't going to let that happen. I stuck with two big baits in a DVice at range and a slider with maddies about twenty yards out.

There were fish from the off, little codling and plenty of them. The slider was being particularly effective, catching the little codling and a nice fat 25cm rockling.

Me and Phil fished together and he was doing his usual match style fishing and catching more fish than me, but his were generally smaller. We'd been pretty neck and neck until with about an hour to go he went into overdrive and started pulling alot of fish out. I stuck with my more leisurely approach and Phil soon stormed ahead.

We both headed back to the weigh in thinking neither of us would be in the prizes, but it soon become apparent the fish had been in front of us and not elsewhere.

Results were as follows...

1st Phil Buy (peb64) 7lbs 7oz
2nd me 6lbs exactly
3rd Mark Peters 3lbs 10oz

Heaviest roundfish, Phil Buy 12oz codling
Heaviest flatfish 2.5 ounce flounder Olly Yallop (Jnr)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Good night, though I had a nightmare, managed to snag the breakwater from the start and things never got much better, still enjoyed it though.:happy:

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Thirteen of us fished in a horrible easterly wind and I was hoping there would be a doggy or even a ray, but the conditions weren't going to let that happen. I stuck with two big baits in a DVice at range and a slider with maddies about twenty yards out.

There were fish from the off, little codling and plenty of them. The slider was being particularly effective, catching the little codling and a nice fat 25cm rockling.

Me and Phil fished together and he was doing his usual match style fishing and catching more fish than me, but his were generally smaller. We'd been pretty neck and neck until with about an hour to go he went into overdrive and started pulling alot of fish out. I stuck with my more leisurely approach and Phil soon stormed ahead.

We both headed back to the weigh in thinking neither of us would be in the prizes, but it soon become apparent the fish had been in front of us and not elsewhere.

Results were as follows...

1st Phil Buy (peb64) 7lbs 7oz
2nd me 6lbs exactly
3rd Mark Peters 3lbs 10oz

Heaviest roundfish, Phil Buy 12oz codling
Heaviest flatfish 2.5 ounce flounder Olly Yallop (Jnr)
And I thought it was bad on the Clyde

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I thought it was bad on the Clyde
There's shed loads of these little codling around at the minute and what few better fish that are around aren't getting a chance to take the baits. At least the rays are starting to show, so something substantial might get hooked.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
A good result for Phil and yourself Conc. Glad the wind wasn't there Friday - I hate fishing in the wind. I put up with it when there's reasonable Codling about, but it's not relaxing.

·
Marmite
12,806 Posts
2nd is better then 3rd mate.

You are needing a ray for you're species hunt.

Better luck next time conc. least you give it a good go.:)

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
The little buggers are everywhere,fished the tower of power last night on a last minute session, just one rod and they outnumbered the whiting 2 to 1 with some treble shots nothing over 30cm though. I would like to think some will make it until next year but then again.....

·
Marmite
12,806 Posts
The little buggers are everywhere,fished the tower of power last night on a last minute session, just one rod and they outnumbered the whiting 2 to 1 with some treble shots nothing over 30cm though. I would like to think some will make it until next year but then again.....
Yep up in Cumbria is the same. They are every where.

It would be nice to see them around next year once they put some beef on;).

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
There's shed loads of these little codling around at the minute and what few better fish that are around aren't getting a chance to take the baits. At least the rays are starting to show, so something substantial might get hooked.
There was a match here recently and it was won with 41 fish for just over 6 meters biggest 20cm sad day when that the biggest around

1 - 11 of 11 Posts