World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Never done a proper report before so thought i鈥檇 contribute, relatively new to sea fishing so even the smallest catch is an achievement 馃榿

Fished Walton Friday Evening just off East Terrace got there about 20:00 High Tide wasn鈥檛 till 00:21 I think!! Schoolboy error didn鈥檛 realise how dark it was, and how far out the tide would be at that point!! (Clearly Prepared) but it鈥檚 all about learning right!!

So set up me tripod!! Get me brand new Daiwa D-Wave Surf rods out (moved up from my entry telescopics)first two casts land me snags and seaweed - forgive the newbie for mistaking the pull of a seaweed football for a fish of similar proportion to that of Jaws, needless to say once the initial excitement died down I did manage to unsnag it, and reset my self collapsing pod for the 17th time..

I sat down to reflect on my woes and gather my thoughts, changed position and started again!! Anyone witnessing my seaweed tripod fight would have been forgiven for mistaking it to be a benny hill sketch!! At that point I was glad it was dark!

Plenty of activity but only a couple of bites, I was delighted to pull a whiting in just under 30cm, having promised my three year old I鈥檇 do my best I took it home filleted and cooked it for him, pretty special feeling being able to do that as a father, well I was proud anyway!! First time he got whiting was from the fish man of Walton sea front.

Later I had a spotted catshark now the first time I caught one of these I took great delight in bigging myself up to the lads how I caught a shark plenty of photos before returning, but I think the novelty has worn off!! Fingers crossed for a tope that will be big news!!

Overall a pleasant session, avoided the rain for the majority I called it quits at 0100 when the lights went out!!

Fished mainly with squid and some rag worm although I really struggle with rag worm it either seems to disintegrated into a mess when I attempt to put it on the hook, or I get bit or it falls off when casting out, regardless of bait elastic! (Any tips 馃憤) i compare trying to thread one on a hook like the old wire loop game where you try to loop it round without touching sides!!

Used a Pulley Pennel 3/0 & two hook flapper 2/0 for this session

Take care all!

Al

Registered
Good report, it鈥檚 a dogfish, Loads of whiting about now

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers pal appreciated!!

Must admit I thought they were one of the same is it just terminology or is there a physical difference between them??

Registered
Well done ! It鈥檚 LSD ( lesser spotted dogfish) rock eel or rock salmon in chip shop !

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers All,

Back out again Friday I think... though due to timing il be following the tide out... I prefer to fish the flood but it is what it is..

Is there any part of frinton sea wall that fishes at low tide - maybe the bit near golf club?

Registered
It goes out way past the wall at frinton, if your thinking fishing that way, just fish to the right of the huts in stilts just before the wall, travel light, i normally just fish one rod and have few bits n pieces in a bucket hanging from my tripod as you鈥檒l be moving with the tide all the time,

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
That鈥檚 a good shout re bucket from tripod mate!

Any better options to fish on the ebb at Walton/frinton that you can think of?

Registered
Only other spots if you want water is to go to harwich either hapenny pier (lit up at night and has benches) Or just on the start of Harwich stone pier ( no advisable to fish in darkness) both have water at low tide, if your fishing day Time id suggest the stone pier but only fish it after the tide has left the top, it鈥檒l be a little slippery but not that bad.

Registered
The best thing about fishing is the learning phase! Was for me anyway. Then you've got to switch things a up a bit to keep it interesting. Nice report and a enjoyable read mate!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts