World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was the first of August, windy, raining and we were wearing our full waterprood gear - welcome to the great British Summer.

When I got there, the tide was already on the flood, and Concrete was set up with two rods out. IceCream Bob and his friend "Gary" were fishing the sandy bay near the toilets, but we decided to fish the snaggy ground on the other side of the breakwater. The wind and rain didn't stop until about 10 minutes after we packed up at about 12:15am this morning (typical) but all in all, we still managed quite a good night.

I decided to uses DVices at range on both the SLRs while Concrete was fishing one DVB at range with one close in using a 3 hook flapper.

Baits used were mackerel, prawn and rag, with the DVices being fully loaded with big baits - we pretty much tried everything. As I got set up, Concrete had the first fish of the night.

Schoolie Bass

Then along came the eel :sad2:

At this point, we were both missing a lot of slamming bites on the lighter gear (I put on the the SLRs away and used the AFAW Surf - as did Concrete). As we suspected, these were sole - and here is the biggest, caught by (him again) Concrete on the FishyRob Sole Rig.

This went to about 1lb and maybe just over.

Last fish of the nighe was a small pouting (yes they are still around) which was caught (yet again) by Concrete.

I missed a fair few bites and ended up with my second blank in succession. I think that anglers all go through a phase where they blank for a while and then get back into the fish - and this was no exception for me. Never mind, we did manage to get this video of my casting a whole mackerel fillet in a DVice with DD Grip Wires. As you can see from the clip, its a rather large bait but it still went out a hell of a long way even though I did manage to aim a little high and to the left. The SW wind didn't help either so it ended up going over Concretes lines (again) as canbe heard in the (apologies for the jerky) video.

I did manage to get a good still of it so upgraded my avatar - all was not lost in the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7x-TV0zgf0

But........ on the way back, we got chatting to IceCream Bob who was fishing in the other bay.

He had a 4.5lb bass caught at range on rag which can be shown here in the photo (it was a bit slimey due to being kept in a carrier bag for about half an hour).

So well done to Concrete and especially well done to Bob for getting the fish. Gary got a codling and so we ended up with ...

Pout, Bass, Eel, Codling and Sole so not so bad in the end.

Next time I'll get a fish :sad:

..... and how could I forget - here is Mr Bronzed Kahunas hitting an absolute mother of a cast ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egzq6qtPi4k

Well done that man

·
Registered
543 Posts
well done fellas

G

·
A good impression of a teapot by Bob there.

Nice for him to catch something decent and I'm glad that I got him to switch from Sizewell and to come with us.

It's strange how all of the better bass are coming fron range to us from those beaches, must be the rough ground and tide rip.

Once again the "D-Sole Rig" did the business, but I was actually using a running paternoster with a 3/0 circle hook at first, not a 3 hook flapper as reported by Bread. He wouldn't have known what I was using because he was late......................

Again:bleh:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Great report Bread , never fished off the beach there only off the pier it looks like a nice spot.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Excellent report,Bread. Thanks.
Even the best of us blank occasionally(!!!)

Stu.

·
Banned
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I must admit, the D-Sole rig is a total corker and a stroke of brilliance - well done FishyRob.

I'm tying some up ready for the holidays.....:clap2:

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
I suppose I had better get the D-Sole Traveller up to you then. Smilar principle, but totally tangle proof, allowing you to "Roll" the rig to search for your sole

Diary updated from the other day. Cheers for the piccies paul. Well done boys, and keep up the good work!!

·
Banned
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good report and great piccy's, think I'll try around there thursday night myself, I hope your mini-slump ends soon, they just happen.
I think your right about the slump that's why I'm not too bothered about not catching at the moment. I think it goes in stages - you catch for ages and then suddenly, for no reason at all, you blank for a few sessions in a row.

I do think I'm quite lucky though because I get the same pleasure out of watching my friends catch fish as I do myself.

I'm going to go to Frinton on Wed on a flood tide, so I hope I'll shake the mojo right there and then just in time for my holidays.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
You guys inspired me so much that I finally got round to checking out some sole haunts around here. Local catches by those fishing worms on small hooks suggest a bleak picture with only a few sole here and there. Using these rigs, and variants thereof, my merry band and I have accounted for over 50 sole in two sessions.......... I think we have another winner.....!!! Am guiding for sole Thursday night, so there is even a fringe benefit. Lots of it down to you boys, again.....!!

Biggest from last night to my mate Steve (Mesito) 1lb 5oz

We also had a total of 12 species on the rigs!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts