World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, thinkin of fishin walton pier in the next few days. i was wondering if theres much being caught from off there!? is it better to fish from the top end of the pier or anywhere along the stem? cause ive heard sooo many different stories lol. Also is it still better to fish the ebb? Any info will help! i havent fished it since this time last year so gotta give it ago soon.

Thanks alot, Josh :)

15,082 Posts
Hey guys, thinkin of fishin walton pier in the next few days. i was wondering if theres much being caught from off there!? is it better to fish from the top end of the pier or anywhere along the stem? cause ive heard sooo many different stories lol. Also is it still better to fish the ebb? Any info will help! i havent fished it since this time last year so gotta give it ago soon.

Personaly on the small tides I wouldnt bother.You need an onshore blow and a decent tide then your in with a chance.

Ron

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i was thinkin of early next week when the tides are a bit bigger mate. would it be worth ago in your oppinion??

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I am not a lover of Walton pier, i have only had a few small fish from there myself and have always lost shed loads of tackle, I prefer St Osyth Beach, but I am sure Stufish will post how wonderful Walton is and where to catch what amd not lose tackle,He tends to catch fish there when I'm not with him. Guess I'm just not a pier person. :uhuh:

15,082 Posts
yeah i was thinkin of early next week when the tides are a bit bigger mate. would it be worth ago in your oppinion??
You need an onshore wind to bring the fish out of the Gullies that are only about 1000yds off.There are tons of fish there but you need the wind and possibly the dark to bring them inshore.

Ron

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
fished walton this time last year and it fished realy well , defently a ebb venue. Both the stem and top right of the pier was the place to fish, i witnesed a reguler to the pier land about 8 good size codling in the space of 2 hours ,and that was a nice sunny day , but it was a big tide.
I have been wondering how it is fishing at the mo,
The local tackle shop will be able to give you the latest info , i cant remember what its called but i do have the number 01255 675680 , thay were very helpfull last year
Hope this helps, let us know how you get on .Good luck

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol!! so would i be any better fishin from the shore at walton, frinton, st osyth ect?? i didnt do to bad last year from frinton beaches...

Josh..

15,082 Posts
fished walton this time last year and it fished realy well , defently a ebb venue. Both the stem and top right of the pier was the place to fish, i witnesed a reguler to the pier land about 8 good size codling in the space of 2 hours ,and that was a nice sunny day , but it was a big tide.
I have been wondering how it is fishing at the mo,
The local tackle shop will be able to give you the latest info , i cant remember what its called but i do have the number 01255 675680 , thay were very helpfull last year
Hope this helps, let us know how you get on .Good luck
Metcalfs

Ron

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Like I said I would prefer a beach anytime. St Osyth has been fishing well, but I didn't get out last week so my info is a fortnight old. As for Clacton, Walton and Frinton. I understand it is very shallow at these beaches and you need to be able to cast 120 yards to get into the gulley, needless to say I never fish them. Hang on for a few more posts, there are plenty of guys who know more about the area than me and can give you better advice.

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
Im thinking of fishing Walton pier on Tuesday. Squid for the doggies on the flood and lug for the codling on the flood.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Like I said I would prefer a beach anytime. St Osyth has been fishing well, but I didn't get out last week so my info is a fortnight old. As for Clacton, Walton and Frinton. I understand it is very shallow at these beaches and you need to be able to cast 120 yards to get into the gulley, needless to say I never fish them. Hang on for a few more posts, there are plenty of guys who know more about the area than me and can give you better advice.

CLACTON YOU ARE CATCHING ABOUT 50YARDS OUT THERE AS I DID LAST NIGHT

·
Registered
80 Posts
I fished Walton Pier last Friday PM.
I had a dozen or so undersize Codling and a couple of Whiting. I was a third of the way down the stem and everyone around me was having the same experience. The one time that I had a fish on that was really fighting back I lost it on a snag. Again, the other anglers were all losing gear in the same way. It was quite a big tide, but the fish were small. The top right end is still closed by the way. I have had good days there- big tides and a Northerly wind are the best I reckon.

G

·
As for Clacton, Walton and Frinton. I understand it is very shallow at these beaches and you need to be able to cast 120 yards to get into the gulley
100+yards is a myth!!! most of the fish come into the groynes feeding and are within 80yards. if you do cast over 100yards you will be stuck in very stickey clay!

good luck wherever you fish josh

sjb

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Hi Josh, I used to fish it a fair bit for codling and did not do too bad this time of year generally. I used to fish towards the end and on the right hand side.I would start off by casting out and left then if nothing was doing I would follow it with a cast slightly to the right of the last cast and so on. Normally I found an area where I would get a fish or two then stick with it. Nothing was ever over about three pounds but I know people do get bigger ones. Used to cast about sixty or seventy yards out. Obviously everyone has their own metods but this was all I did. I thought ( rightly or wrongly ) that by casting to different positions ( like starting at say ten o clock when twelve o clock was straight out ) and going round, I might find a gulley running parallel to the beach. Anyway good luck if ya go.:)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

Night tides are the best, bigger the better.
Top left corner on the flood, cast up into the tide, squid, squid / lug, makeral when whiting about.
On the ebb top right corner when open or top middle & cast to your right slightly up into the tide, hopefully those around you will do the same.

Only fish the leg on the ebb, even 2 to 3 hours down there are fish about.

Tackle, (running trace forget ) leader line to a swivel, small piece of line to
another swivel ( 6 to 8 inches ) , put another swivel with a bead ever side so it can run up & down the 6 to 8 inch line. Take another piece on line appx 2ft long tie it to the bottom swivel the other end tie your weight clip. From the swivel with the beads either side tie your trace line so your hook is just above your weight.

Holland Haven beach fishes pretty good, ebb tide, big tide , night, choose a short groyne between two long groynes, cast out level with the end of the long groyne or just short, lea side so the tide is coming over & around, from your right on the ebb, fish seem to go round the groyne then swim back in, food must be in the sheltered area .

Frinton Wall Apron used to be good until sea defence work, again ebb tide, you had to get down for the flood otherwise no space.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
100+yards is a myth!!! most of the fish come into the groynes feeding and are within 80yards. if you do cast over 100yards you will be stuck in very stickey clay!

good luck wherever you fish josh

sjb
I think I need to have a chat with my advisors:uhuh:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Josh, I've just spent ten minutes typing a reply to your thread, only to discover I was logged off!!! I can't go through it all again! Do a search, I've posted quite a bit of info about Walton pier.
Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

Stu

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Josh, I've just spent ten minutes typing a reply to your thread, only to discover I was logged off!!! I can't go through it all again! Do a search, I've posted quite a bit of info about Walton pier.
Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

Stu
Silly sod :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts