World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear oh dear what did I do to myself today.
Set up and fishing by 8.30, two main rods out with BIG squid and black pennelled 7/0... Third rod a light carp rod with two small worm baits to see what was about. Dabs that's what, but the tiny transparent ones. Dozens of them. Fished to high, dab after tiny dab on the light rod and not a sniff of anything on the proper baits. Onto the ebb and instantly it was then ting after ting, the smallest things I have ever caught, (bigger ones in amongst them but so skinny, they were more like eels)... one after the other, usually double shots. And on the big baits on the ebb and into darkness? Not a sniff. Bloody cold, bloody windy and now setting up for a nice hot shower.
My PB dab this year.
Pliers Wood Hand tool Nipper Diagonal pliers

The first person to say 'at least you never blanked' gets a prize.

Always next time eh! John.
Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Fluid

And it looked like someone nuked clacton. That was quite a sunset.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Dear oh dear what did I do to myself today.
Set up and fishing by 8.30, two main rods out with BIG squid and black pennelled 7/0... Third rod a light carp rod with two small worm baits to see what was about. Dabs that's what, but the tiny transparent ones. Dozens of them. Fished to high, dab after tiny dab on the light rod and not a sniff of anything on the proper baits. Onto the ebb and instantly it was then ting after ting, the smallest things I have ever caught, (bigger ones in amongst them but so skinny, they were more like eels)... one after the other, usually double shots. And on the big baits on the ebb and into darkness? Not a sniff. Bloody cold, bloody windy and now setting up for a nice hot shower.
My PB dab this year.
View attachment 318411
The first person to say 'at least you never blanked' gets a prize.

Always next time eh! John.
View attachment 318412
And it looked like someone nuked clacton. That was quite a sunset.
Hi John, although you caught Small stuff you probably would've blanked at Canvey so think you picked the right venue. Been twice to the Thames recently and not even had a Bite. Middle of February might be different I always find it hard this time of year , keep trying it will change , good luck. :p

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mate, I should have been out on a boat canvey yesterday but fortunately for me it didn't happen. Spoke to my mate last night they had a couple of hours out on the river, got blown off and then had to tuck into the creek for the rest of the day... Entire boat caught a couple of undersized whiting and a dab... Lucky escape I'd have been spewing with that result.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Mate, I should have been out on a boat canvey yesterday but fortunately for me it didn't happen. Spoke to my mate last night they had a couple of hours out on the river, got blown off and then had to tuck into the creek for the rest of the day... Entire boat caught a couple of undersized whiting and a dab... Lucky escape I'd have been spewing with that result.
Hi John I always try when it goes off like it has around the East Coast get down to Deal Pier usually a chance of something decent showing up , Lower Deck to the right, can be snaggy but with a quick retrieve should be ok. Tackle shop on the Pier to get your bait from, Toilets and Cafe very Fisherman Friendly while your waiting for that Biggun. ;)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi John I always try when it goes off like it has around the East Coast get down to Deal Pier usually a chance of something decent showing up , Lower Deck to the right, can be snaggy but with a quick retrieve should be ok. Tackle shop on the Pier to get your bait from, Toilets and Cafe very Fisherman Friendly while your waiting for that Biggun. ;)
Cheers mate, fished deal pier a fair few times with my Dad, God bless him, when I was a youngster in the late 80's/early 90's but it was only fished by us in the winter when we got blown off the boats if the weather got naughty and prevented us launching off the beach there. ROSEANNE was the boat we used, had a properly old and wrinkly skipper called Albert, who always had a half rolled smoke stuck to his bottom lip. Some really nice memories, stayed loads of times in a cafe/b&b on the front in the summer, the lobster pot, smashing couple that used to run it and I was love struck as a teenager by one of the waitress girls there! One of Dad's mates came with us for breakfast once and told anyone who'd listen nothing could make him sea sick and to prove it he ordered a double knickerbocker glory after his full English... Lasted about ten minutes, it did look pretty coming back up though, I'll give him that much! Happy days and some bloody great fishing with my Old Man. Sorry, did go on a bit!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts