World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a real incident that has happened on Monday of this week. A licensed charter boat skipper was ferrying his 8 anglers to the charter vessel that was lying on a deep water mooring. The small skiff they were in got swamped due to the low gunwale hight and strong winds, all 8 anglers + the skipper + all the gear ended up in the briny at around 2 in the morning. Fortunatly one of the anglers was able to use his phone to summon help and all were saved by a helicopter rescue.

Now here comes the warning, although the charter vessel was insured the skiff was not!! this has left the skipper in a position of having 8 anglers in the water with the possible loss of life and NO INSURANCE! SKIPPERS BEWARE. :(

As for the anglers, before booking your next trip i would advise that you first find out if the boat is a walk on from a jetty. If not find out how will you be getting onboard and is that method coverd on the skippers insurance.

All the best guys & safe angling to you all.

Ryan.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Ryan,

Where abouts did this occur?

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drew, this occurred at Leigh-On-Sea in Essex, I dont wish to Name the vessel or Skipper, as Im sure you will appreciate. I just thought i ought to highlight the problem that has arisen to both Charter Skippers and anglers alike.

Regards Ryan.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Ryan,

I had heard a whisper that an incident had occured on the South East Coast, and as I charter fish from this area on occasions I was just curious.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Drew,

Dont let it put you off, the local boats are fishing really well at the MO.

Ryan.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
yes, but it does make you think, well done for bringing that to everybodys attention, i,d have never thought of that myself, but sounds about right, not being covered,by insurance, i mean. not nice being in the water at all, but 2 in the morning, gorddddddddddddddd.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Ryan,

Nothing but the weather puts me off and that is down to the skippers, I'm not even put off by blanking and that is my fault.

Portsmouth this Sunday and then off to South Wales until the 16th June. Portsmouth again on the 17th with Gusangus and the Forum boys and Bradwell on the 20th with Fred. Then Portsmouth again on the 26th.

Quite a good month as far as trips go, as for the fishing, well! we will just have to wait and see.

Cheers

Drew

Cheers

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Drew,

You do get about dont you, your fishing at Bradwell on the 20th with Fred, might their be a place on that trip for one small one?

I met Fred recently, he came to me for some casting tuition, a true gent he is too, i know Freds out of the country at the moment but perhaps you could speak to him on his return?

Regards Ryan.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Ryan,

Fred has told me all about you (all good things).

Yes, I am certain that he is not fully booked, I spoke with him just before he left.

I will phone him when he returns and get him to contact you. On the other hand I can give you his number and you can contact him yourself. Please let me know whatever.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Drew, Fred will be contacting me on his return, i will book a days leave from work and see Fred on his return. It will be good to get out and wet a line with both Fred and yourself.

All the best Ryan. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts