World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning to fellow fisherman who may own one of these headlamps. Do not leave unattended when charging and definately do not leave them charging overningt as i did. Could be partly my fault as i grabbed a dc charger out of my box of spares so may not of been the correct one but luckily the fire alarm went off which woke us up, and i managed to put the fire out myself but the smoke and soot has meant we need to get profesional cleaners in. It could of been a different story if it was charging on a sofa or carpet. Please take note guys.
IMG_3849.PNG
IMG_3847.JPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,888 Posts
Bloody hell mate. I changed mine a few months ago as my mate on here told me about them catching fire. I had the same one. You were bloody lucky . Good job you had smoke directors
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,328 Posts
A bit of white tape on the charger cable and write the gadget on there BLUE HEADBAND LAMP .

Could save your life !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
I've got a couple of those I've used for years but I would never charge them with the batteries in I always use good batteries (not ultrafire ) and an external nitecore intellicharger as I've heard of them catching fire before while on charge.
Glad you are ok could have been nasty.
Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got a couple of those I've used for years but I would never charge them with the batteries in I always use good batteries (not ultrafire ) and an external nitecore intellicharger as I've heard of them catching fire before while on charge.
Glad you are ok could have been nasty.
Pete
Thanks Pete, done just that now, ordered some lg 18650 batteries direct from lg website along with a new "smart charger" for my other headlamp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,908 Posts
Warning to fellow fisherman who may own one of these headlamps. Do not leave unattended when charging and definately do not leave them charging overningt as i did. Could be partly my fault as i grabbed a dc charger out of my box of spares so may not of been the correct one but luckily the fire alarm went off which woke us up, and i managed to put the fire out myself but the smoke and soot has meant we need to get profesional cleaners in. It could of been a different story if it was charging on a sofa or carpet. Please take note guys.
View attachment 757865 View attachment 757873
;) As you say, it could just have been the wrong charger, not a fault with the lamp. I once plugged some Xmas lights into the wrong transformer, there was a flash and all the bulbs blew, fortunately no damage done, except to the bulbs, lesson learned, always read the label, many chargers/transformers look alike but have different outputs. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
No batteries should ever be charged over night or un attended.

The best option for about £15 go on a remote control model shop and buy a charging bag. It's a fire proof bag to put your battery headlamp in while charging. By far the safest option.

Search eBay for Lipo charging bags some decent ones under a tenner. Beats trashing your house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
Just because you have a plug in power unit with a connector that fits the headlamp does not mean that you have a compatible charger for Li-ion batteries. The charging tolerances for Li-ion are quite specific and require a charger that cuts off correctly at the full charge level. Overcharging by as little as 0.2V can cause batteries to vent. Li-ion batteries need to be treated with respect. If unsure have a look at sites like Battery University or Candlepower forums for detail on how to handle Li-ion batteries correctly.

Luckily you managed to catch yours in time Merry Fisher!

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...d-Close-Calls-The-dangerous-side-of-batteries
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
I posted a similar thread a couple of weeks ago when my torch burst into flames on my beadside dressing table. My sons remote control car battery pack also caught fire in our garage, I don't think it's just a certain brand but more a case of modern high capacity battery's.
 
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Top