World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just sold my old 14ft triple hull Capri 150 (similar to the seahog Trio) and bought a 99 Warrior 150 with a 40hp mariner/2 stroke and a 5hp mariner aux. I launched it yesterday and went for a sea trial to test her out. I was extremely dissapointed to say the least. I was by myself and the boat felt terrible compared with my old capri, it almost felt like the inner hull was filled with water as it would dramatically pull to one side or the other. Conditions wern't perfect but my old capri would have been fine. I was actually convinced that she was taken in water so I headed straight back for the pier. After taken out of the water I have found that there was no water getting through the hull.
It almost felt like I weighed a ton once she was on the plane as it would list heavily to the right and was very worrying. Any advise on how to fix this would be appreciated? Or is it just a caracteristic of the 150. If so I will sell tomorrow and get another little triple hull.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Hi, I have just sold my old 14ft triple hull Capri 150 (similar to the seahog Trio) and bought a 99 Warrior 150 with a 40hp mariner/2 stroke and a 5hp mariner aux. I launched it yesterday and went for a sea trial to test her out. I was extremely dissapointed to say the least. I was by myself and the boat felt terrible compared with my old capri, it almost felt like the inner hull was filled with water as it would dramatically pull to one side or the other. Conditions wern't perfect but my old capri would have been fine. I was actually convinced that she was taken in water so I headed straight back for the pier. After taken out of the water I have found that there was no water getting through the hull.
It almost felt like I weighed a ton once she was on the plane as it would list heavily to the right and was very worrying. Any advise on how to fix this would be appreciated? Or is it just a caracteristic of the 150. If so I will sell tomorrow and get another little triple hull.
The Capri was/is a particularly stable hull, is main fault being it slams and bumps going into a head sea.

The Warrior and all it's clones are all more trim sensetive than a cathederal hull. If you have you and all the fuel and gear on one side of the hull it will lean that way. If you spread the load arround it will help but even then you have to make sure your passengers stay in their allocated seat when on the plane or the boat can suddenly lean. Hoewever they are much more sea kindly going into a bit of a choppy sea. You are going to find that all smallish boats (18ft or so) have their idiosyncrasies. It's not untill you get over 20ft or so with a heavy well built hull that loading and passenger weight distribution fades away as a critical factor.

Afishionado

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, I will just try and get used to it I suppose. After spending nearly 5k on buying this boat I am seriously dissapointed. It is only 1ft longer that my old capri but looks so much bigger and boasts alot more fishing space now that i've taken the seats out, but the ride deffo feels unstable but then again it doesn't slam in the water as bad. Do you think that it feels worse due to the fact that i'm used to a triple hull? I also notice that the boat is actually slower than the capri even though it has a 40hp mariner compared to a 25hp on the capri.

Also after driving the boat about in the water yesterday I had no problems starting the engine with the electric start. I have never had to charge the battery since owning the boat for the last 2 weeks. But I went down to my mooring today to take the boat out for a blast and the battery appears to be dead. I have taken it home and put on charge. Any Ideas what may have caused this?

·
Banned
132 Posts
i my self have just got a warrior 150 after having a virgo165 for many years.
the ride isn't what i expected and the open cabin feels more like a sail when drifting (wind was blowing at 20 mph) . but the room on board is grate and as stated the ride can be in proved with the trim. the boat we got had a 40hp but we put a 60 hp big foot on it . one thing i need to do is put some Polly carbonate on the radar arch as it hard to breath when you pop your head above the cabin

chazz

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
hi mate,i own a 165 and after owning a couple of cathedrel hull boats i myself was initially quite dissapointed with the balance of the warrior hull,but after 3 years of owning the boat i could not be happier with her.its all down to balance and getting used to the different type of ride. stick with it and u well never look at a dory again. i find that trim tabs make a hell of a difference too.:g: DEAN.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
always disconect the battery when not in use this will eleviate battery drain.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I went from a 13.5ft Dell Quay to my current 16ft V hull, & on my first trip out in it I was seasick!:oops: thats the difference in movement & handling between the hulls! This one travels better through a short chop, & I can get more speed in most sea conditions than in the Dell Quay, but when you stop, the difference is really noticeable, with 2 up in the Dell Quay you could both lean over the side to have a "nose" at a fish without it rolling, on the V hull, it lets you know the somebody needs to move back!:rtfm:
At least with this one, I dont "wear" every wave I hit, & it handles better in bigger seas!:yeah:
blueskip

·
Registered
584 Posts
always disconect the battery when not in use this will eleviate battery drain.
As a larger boat owner, a battery isolator switch is standard practice, single pole unit cost about £7.00 from a chandlers.

I remember, a few years back now:g: my first boat was an Alaska 500, it had a list problem under power, solved by adjusting the trim tab on the cavitation plate on the Mercury 50 fitted. Sorry cant be more specific than that, its been a few years, do they still fit trim tabs, mine also doubled as a sacrificial anode?

ET's OPO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I reckon that I could sell this warrior 150 for the price i got it (5K) and spend a little more on a seahog samuri or similar. It really does feel terrible compared to a cathederal hull. How do you reckon I should trim the equipment inside the boat. It even felt bad with just me driving it today, felt like I have been drinking lead all day and weigh 2 tonne. never felt this on my good old capri.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
seahog samuri

I have just sold mine. Very good boat and IMO better value by far over the Warrior. The Samurai has a good ride but it is still slightly more tender to loading than a cathederal. If you want a cathederal but more deck room have a look at the Wilson Flier range.

Afishionado

PS the Samurai was replaced with a Jeaneau Merry Fisher 625

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
seahog samuri

I have just sold mine. Very good boat and IMO better value by far over the Warrior. The Samurai has a good ride but it is still slightly more tender to loading than a cathederal. If you want a cathederal but more deck room have a look at the Wilson Flier range.

Afishionado

PS the Samurai was replaced with a Jeaneau Merry Fisher 625
You won the lottery & keeping it quiet?
blueskip

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I watched a Warrior (2 up) that had launched before me at Dunbar a couple of weeks ago. The sea had a fair chop on it and was quite lumpy. Watching it from behind at a fairly high speed the boat was flopping from side to side in a very pronounced manner. My old Seahog by comparison was, is steady as a rock.
There were no trim tabs on that one which I read seems to be part of the answer to sorting out the warrior handling.

·
Raider 18 Owner
6,488 Posts
Iv Got A Warrior 150 With A 50hp Honda Four Stroke ,iv Had It Just Over 8 Months And Had No Problems At All I Go Out On My Own Or With My Son And It Feels Quit Stable .i Had A Shetland 535 Before Which Was To Heavy I Would Have Prefered The 165 But I Need Something I Can Launch On My Own Which This Craft Is Perfect I Fish The Bristol Channel Through The Winter And Cardigan Bay In The Summer With No Trouble At All

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Quote....There were no trim tabs on that one which I read seems to be part of the answer to sorting out the warrior handling.

A VERY good point, I fitted Smartabs to my Samurai and boy did they make a differance. Straight up on the plane no messing and rock steady at 17 knts with 10 more in hand.

Afishionado

G

·
....not to mention they are not as much money as you may think, particularly when compared to a HUGELY smaller and extremely basic boat from the plane cuddy brigade.

....not that I am biased in any way!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts