World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question to Warrior 165 owners, what's the maximum speed you've had from your beast? Which engine do you have? have you fitted trim tabs and found the boat to be faster or slower?

·
Registered
222 Posts
not appropriate i know, but i have a 175 with merc 75. would trim tabs help? we get 27-28 kts at present.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
About 25-26 knots one-up 60hp 2 str mariner Bigfoot. No trin tabs. However, tonight it ran like a dream at 23-24knots at 4700 rpm, and normally I run it at 20 knots and about 4000rpm

·
Registered
380 Posts
1 up, fully loaded, somewhere over 34 mph without any tidal help. Thats only about 4400 rpm on a new 75 etec (no tabs), so it'll be interesting to see what happens after a few more hours.

More normally she'll sit happily at 21-27 mph at roughly 3000-3500 rpm in calm conditions. Fuel consumption wise, it seems to be around 6.5 - 7 mpg at an average 3500rpm, again in calm conditions.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
1 up, fully loaded, somewhere over 34 mph without any tidal help. Thats only about 4400 rpm on a new 75 etec (no tabs), so it'll be interesting to see what happens after a few more hours.

More normally she'll sit happily at 21-27 mph at roughly 3000-3500 rpm in calm conditions. Fuel consumption wise, it seems to be around 6.5 - 7 mpg at an average 3500rpm, again in calm conditions.
These figures are excellent if repeatable, but I'm sure Seamouse has said that his 75 etec returns about 5mpg which isn't gobsmacking against the 4mpg that he and I get/got from the 60hp 2str bigfoot.

Here's a connected question (probably been raised before). If the etec 75 is 40 or so kilos heavier than the 60 bigfoot, don't you get porpoising at a much earlier point because there's so much more weight on the back. I'm mostly on my own in the boat, and I concede that an extr person or two amidships might well damp down any poprpoising tendency, but if I'm on my own I keep wondering whether the Evinrude 60hp Etec wouln't be a better bet. I think it's about the same weight as the Bigfoot, and presumably it will still have that 2 stroke oomph compared with a similar (and much heavier) 60 hp 4 stroke. I've been warned off the etec 60's a couple of times, but unless there is some design fault with them, I would have thought that for someone who mainly fishes alone it could be better than the 75 ?
Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
Has anyone any exeprience of using the Yamaha/Mercury/Mariner 60hp fourstroke high thrust option with the higher gearing (2.33:1)?

Offshore, is your yam 60 fourstroke the standard unit with the 1.83:1 gearing?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi Mike

If the etec 75 is 40 or so kilos heavier than the 60 bigfoot, don't you get porpoising at a much earlier point because there's so much more weight on the back
I can't comment on the 75 relative to the 60, but my 165 and 75 etec does need to be trimmed well down when running at any speed. I haven't noticed much difference whether one up or two up, although that does affect the balance quite noticeably at speed.

Re the fuel consumption - it's really too early to tell as the engine has less than 5 hours use, but I'd be hoping to keep consumption on the right side of 6 mpg in decent conditions, assuming I'm not flying along.

·
Registered
769 Posts
These figures are excellent if repeatable, but I'm sure Seamouse has said that his 75 etec returns about 5mpg which isn't gobsmacking against the 4mpg that he and I get/got from the 60hp 2str bigfoot.
That 5mpg average was for a 75hp etec on a Pro Angler with 2-3 aboard. 100kg heavier than a 165 and fitted with 80lb trim tabs that trashed the handling and must have offered serious extra drag. Even so, still gave 27-28 knots flat out.
For the standard 165 and 75hp e-tec, I've so far seen 28.5knots and we were not near flat out. At a guess, it'll touch 30 knots?

Loftyd, are you on the new style (crap) 17" prop by any chance? On the Pro Angler, it'd not pull past 4400rpm even after the oiling in period. I went over to a Solas 15" prop. That gave a more reasonable 5200rpm at WOT but it might be a touch under-propped for the 165. I'll find out when I get a nice flat sea to give it some stick across. You can still get the old style 17" Evinrude props if you shop around, though they're not cheap. Much better match though, [email protected]

Steve

·
Registered
666 Posts
I would have hit 35mph max with the 75 e-tech, flat calm, no tabs, I do tend to get porpoising around 30mph, don't think my petrol consumption has been that great recently more like 5 - 5.5 miles/gall. Mike if I go out on my own I fill a 5 gall drum with water and wedge it in front of the passenger seat, helps to balance it up and a bit of ballast.
Sean,

1 - 20 of 61 Posts