World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone opened the hatch that covering the fuel tank ,my fuel gauge doesn't work and I'm thinking the float in the tank is stuck because I diffenatly have power going to it...
There is a white hard seal around the hatch..

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well lads I opened the hatch today and got the sender out and the float had fallen out so no wonder it didn't work..
I rang Warrior boats and they told me the sender is manufactured by Wema
They changed from the old float on a arm to a new straight shaft like one in the end of 2003...
Will post pics tomorrow

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still fitting flow gauge to get better idea of what fuel is being used at different rpm..
On the 90 I have I was told a few 100 extra rpm could mean as much as 50% more fuel being used

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
I'm still fitting flow gauge to get better idea of what fuel is being used at different rpm..
On the 90 I have I was told a few 100 extra rpm could mean as much as 50% more fuel being used
Although I think that's probably a slight exaggeration, towards the top end of the rpm range you won't be far off, and I would agree that a fuel flow meter is a good idea - when I fitted one it turned out my most economical cruise speed was 27 knots rather than the 20 knots I assumed it would be.

I'd still like a mechanical fuel gauge to double check - I had one that simply had a lever moving a 'gauge' in the top of the tank, a bit like the ones you see in portable tanks - virtually nothing to go wrong, but at the helm I preferred the fuel flow meter - when I had a helm guage it was only accurate to about quarter of a tank and got worse as the tank emptied (a boat is very rarely level so no wonder really), so wasn't a whole load of use.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a few pics of fuel tank on a 2003 Warrior 175 and also picture of problem fuel sender,with float missing which is a common fault with this type of sender
Gas

Auto part Vehicle

Auto part

·
Registered
824 Posts
just an Idea but while its open I would change fuel lines had a 2004 warrior with a smell of fuel when I took the old glass filter of found rudder in bowl removed pipes and replaced with new there is not a lot of room I put a dowl in pipes and taped end to end as they have cable ties to deck

Mate had same problem when we were over in the IOM 2 years ago

Geoff

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all fitted the new sender today but the tank is 3/4 full but on the gauge on the console it's showing 3/4 empty..
I thought I had the two wires connected wrong so I switched them around but the gauge is still showing 3/4 empty..
I took the sensor back out and when the float is at the bottom it's showing full and when u slide the float up to the top it's showing empty..
Anyone got any ideas why this is so

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Hi all fitted the new sender today but the tank is 3/4 full but on the gauge on the console it's showing 3/4 empty..
I thought I had the two wires connected wrong so I switched them around but the gauge is still showing 3/4 empty..
I took the sensor back out and when the float is at the bottom it's showing full and when u slide the float up to the top it's showing empty..
Anyone got any ideas why this is so
Is the Tank in upside down ?

ETEC

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
as this is a total differant fitting to yours.to me it looks more like a tank drain plug fitting....they didnt fit these under the tank on any of the (older..newer) warriors did they. i think i would have put a float on your old one.(a cork would of done).

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I just wonder if the new unit is supposed to go in from the bottom of the tank, Some cars have these as it makes them acsesible without having to remove the tank.

ETEC

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
You can definitely get a sensor like that which is designed to fit in through the top of the tank - I had one on my old boat. But it was about as useful as a handbrake in a canoe (when the tank was half full, when underway it could read anything from quarter to three quarters full) and was continuously leaking so I swapped it for a fuel flow meter instead which not only told me how much fuel I was using but also gave me an accurate account of how much was left. Just need to remember to reset it each time you fill up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Cluais,
have you discovered what the actual tank capacity is? I reset my fuel flow meter to 85 litres each time I top up the tank. I think it's staying the safe side of the stated 90ltr capacity, but it's a total guess at the same time:huh:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think you got the wrong sender. You can get them for the us and for europe. It has something to do with resistance measured in ohm.
you can get a electrick thingie whatever to correct this. Will see if i find a description of the problem for you.
Bjørn

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.