World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear from the guys running the same engine, on what they find the most efficient rpms to run there engine? I Usually run mine at 4200 rpms depending on conditions, but feel shes fairy thursty on the fuel, even tho i take into account shes kept on marina

·
Registered
11,361 Posts
What prop and what does it run out to at max rpm ?
I have one but unfortunately it doesn't have nmea 2000, so Im looking at perhaps installing a fuel flow sensor to connect to my network for accurate figures.

I take it that keeping it at the marina indicated it may have some growth on the bottom ?

My bf90 runs out to 6200rpm and I find myself running at over 5000 most of the time as I don't like hanging about getting to fishing spots. Mine is on a heavy built14ft centre console, weighing in around 1 ton loaded with fuel, triple batteries, electric anchor, Minn Kota etc. At the rpm you mention 4200 mine is pushing 26-27 mph. Its also early days with this latest rig and I will be experimenting with other props to tweak the performance to its best, looking at a Q4 quicksilver prop.

Take a look on the Honda performance page and check out the data from the various 90's on different vessels, which should give you a pretty good idea Honda Marine | Performance Tests

If your boat is underperforming it could simply just be a build up of slime on the hull, hopefully not water under the floor or something like that.

Post a bit more data on rpm etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What prop and what does it run out to at max rpm ?
I have one but unfortunately it doesn't have nmea 2000, so Im looking at perhaps installing a fuel flow sensor to connect to my network for accurate figures.

I take it that keeping it at the marina indicated it may have some growth on the bottom ?

My bf90 runs out to 6200rpm and I find myself running at over 5000 most of the time as I don't like hanging about getting to fishing spots. Mine is on a heavy built14ft centre console, weighing in around 1 ton loaded with fuel, triple batteries, electric anchor, Minn Kota etc. At the rpm you mention 4200 mine is pushing 26-27 mph. Its also early days with this latest rig and I will be experimenting with other props to tweak the performance to its best, looking at a Q4 quicksilver prop.

Take a look on the Honda performance page and check out the data from the various 90's on different vessels, which should give you a pretty good idea Honda Marine | Performance Tests

If your boat is underperforming it could simply just be a build up of slime on the hull, hopefully not water under the floor or something like that.

Post a bit more data on rpm etc.
I only have the boat few months, and i bought her afloat, so haven't had proper look at the engine or prop!the problem i have at the moment is the fuel gauge.. when she's showing empty and 20 liters go in ,the gauge gos to half way, strange for 80 liter tank. Thinking the same about fuel flow meter if there reasonable, some fellas reckon there getting more efficiency from driving them at higher rpm.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The fuel gauge on my 175 was hopeless we used to keep it full. refilling after every trip my boat also had water ingress between the hulls think I drained about 10 bucket fulls out never did find out how it got there

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fuel gauge on my 175 was hopeless we used to keep it full. refilling after every trip my boat also had water ingress between the hulls think I drained about 10 bucket fulls out never did find out how it got there
I'm the same leaving it over half full after each trip, saying that there's days I mite take the small fella out for hour around the harbour and the half would drop to low in no time driving around 4000 rmps, defo prefer something more accurate , wonder what is actually left when shes showing empty!?

·
Registered
11,361 Posts
Fuel tanks can be very unpredictable, hence why Ive always networked my engines to nmea 2000 and then to what ever gps head unit Im using at the time. When I fill the tank I use the menu to add how much fuel Ive added and then get exact fuel figures. Unfortunately the bf 90 didn't get nmea2000 until around 2010, so a seperate sensor is needed. Some of the fuel flow sensors can struggle to calculate engines that use very little fuel (from what Ive found out so far) but I will be making a few calls next week in regards to finding if any are appropriate for my bf 90.

Unfortunately a fuel flow meter is more expensive than a full engine diagnostic nmea, here Im looking at $275 for the fuel sensor and around $235 for the network starter cables and then you need a GPS head unit compatible.

In regards to 4000rpm, I would estimate a burn of around 12lt per hour. Its always best to fill a tank after a days fishing and keep track of the hours, distance and you will soon get an idea of what its actually using.

If you have ever removed the arm and float from any boat fuel tank you will soon understand why they are so inaccurate. Then there's also the fact that boats don't often sit perfectly level on the water. Using a dipping stick and knowing the dimensions of the tank can often be better that relying on a gauge but often there's a bend in the fuel line making some tanks hard to dip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts