World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one got one, have you had any problem with them this looks like it goona be the next boat hopefully going over to the factory next week to have a look round.

Any feed back would be apprectiated good or bad.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi Steve,
Speak to Paul at warrior, he may be able to arrange for you to go out on a boat. The factory dosn't have any facilities to test a boat but Paul will find a local warrior owner for you to meet and try their boat.
He did for me and my 165 is being delivered on this Saturday.

Good Luck and enjoy

Andy

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just been speaking to phil there and thinking of going over the factory next week to have a look round and see them been made as have had a bad experience lately and i know these are uk made just woulsd like to know if any bad pionts or should i look at a reiver sportsman.

Would like to stick with suzuki engine tho any one got any bad points on them.

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
The guy who pointed out that Suzuki's warranty requires their engines to be service twice as often as any other outboard (or six times more than an ETEC) - he harps on about it almost as much as I do about wearing lifejackets!

All got a bit controversial with some people saying they need to adhere to such a ridiculous servicing schedule and some saying they didn't - can't comment myself as I haven't seen the manual or the warranty documents. I would read the Suzuki manual and warranty terms yourself and make your own mind up before committing to the purchase of a Suzuki - if what was said is correct, to maintain the warranty, you'd need an end of season service and a beginning of season service even if you didn't use it at all over the winter!

A shame they've got this issue surrounding them because the 70/80/90hp model is a fine engine.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Hi Steve,
Speak to Paul at warrior, he may be able to arrange for you to go out on a boat. The factory dosn't have any facilities to test a boat but Paul will find a local warrior owner for you to meet and try their boat.
He did for me and my 165 is being delivered on this Saturday.

Good Luck and enjoy

Andy
Andy
What engine are you having? My 165 is due on 22nd, I'm having the Suzuki DF70.
Have they kept to the original delivery date?

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
£17,200 for the pro angler & Suzuki 70hp (Warriors recommended package). A lot of money for a 16 & 1/2 ft boat in my opinion.
Not wishing to restart the Suzuki service debate (& BTW I think the new model 70/80/90hp are a very good motor) but I would make sure that I had the service requiremnts in writing if the dealer selling the motor contradicted the manual as to what was required. A very expensive mistake if you didn"t follow Suzuki"s intervals then had a warranty claim turned down because of it.
Was out on my Raider buddying up a mates 165/70hp Suzuki on Sunday & must say it went very well.

headlight

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
According to the manual, Suzuki service schedule is:
1st service at 20 hours or 1 month, 12 months and every 12 months after that. Which is in line with other outboards appart from the Etec.

The 3 monthly checks are mostly visual inspections that can be carried out by the owner. (see attached pdf file, service schedule from the handbook). Only the items with an * are recommended to be carried out a Suzuki Authorised Dealer or Qualified service mechanic (see attached jpg).

Attachments

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
According to the manual, Suzuki service schedule is:
1st service at 20 hours or 1 month, 12 months and every 12 months after that. Which is in line with other outboards appart from the Etec.

The 3 monthly checks are mostly visual inspections that can be carried out by the owner. (see attached service schedule from the handbook). Only the items with an * are recommended to be carried out a Suzuki Authorised Dealer or Qualified service mechanic.
As I was saying Brian I"m not trying to reopen the debate. The info contained in your pdf is fine but I seem to remember that a manual posted on another thread was different. Might just be my memory going with old age:wheelchai.
I myself very nearly bought a 165/Suzi 70hp last autumn. Plumped for the Raider Wheelhouse in the end for various reasons & am very happy with my choice .

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I was intending to buy a Raider 18 Wheelhouse, but after trying one in my driveway, I decided it was too tight a fit (I had about 1" sideways clearance between the top of the wheelhouse and my gutter).

I didn't want to rekindle the whole debate on servicing, it's just that having the latest handbook, I thought I'd help to clear things up, most of the "facts" appeared to be from someone , who new someone, who'd seen it somewhere.

The pdf and jpg files that I posted were taken from the manual for the latest DF70, DF80 and DF90.

G

·
All this engine (Suzuki v others, esp. ETEC) argument is fascinating. Ardwell Marine advised me last week (I know inboard diesels, sod-all on outboards) that in the long term, they all work out nearly the same. Subsequently I had confirmation from an ETEC user that his 3-year service cost about £400. Suzuki services, I've been quoted at £90/100 per service. Mariners, £150/200. Maybe somebody with real experience of this can comment. Then we can decide if hauling the lump to get the service done, so many miles/km away is a factor.

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
Can't remember for sure, but I think my three year service on the ETEC was around £250 - it certainly wasn't anywhere near £400 - I'd have remembered that!

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Can't remember for sure, but I think my three year service on the ETEC was around £250 - it certainly wasn't anywhere near £400 - I'd have remembered that!
the bare service kit is about £150 and then give about 5 hours labour and oils and grease etc then 400 isnt that bad but it only needs doing every 3 years opposed to my mates mariner which needs doing every year or 100 hours and his average about £200

i suppose it depends where you live and what the servicing dealer charges

ps i would seriously consider the reiver sportsman and for size and price they are excellent

ETEC

·
Registered
86 Posts
Must admit Steve I really like my reiver sportsman and there is a lot of room for a small boat and the price is excellent have met a few lads who have one are had one and not a bad word said. Once you are inside the boat the room is amazing well pleased so far

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
going to riever next week

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
the bare service kit is about £150 and then give about 5 hours labour
The guy who did mine only took somewhere between 2-3 hours and he definitely doesn't skimp - he has a first class reputation and is very well respected by other marine mechanics round here.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
The guy who did mine only took somewhere between 2-3 hours and he definitely doesn't skimp - he has a first class reputation and is very well respected by other marine mechanics round here.
Well i paid just short of 400 and whilst it was in there i had a new power tilt hydraulic ram as well under waranty also a new pair of mounting brackets as well as they had some corosion on them so i was happy with his bill but i must say i thought that the injectors out and all the other stuff was ott but that was what he did i even got a copy of the service shedule and i was happy

i wish i had some one near me that would do it for 250 but the nearest to me i wouldnt trust so i towed it to nottingham and that was the next closest

ETEC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts