World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just back from Portugal and did a Poacher from the shore, apart from one small wrasse. That was caught powerballing with a limpet bait. I was really after bass, and did quite a bit of spinning.

I know you can only catch what is there, and although someone told me of a mark that's usually fruitful, I blanked. Most high tides occured during the day, brilliant sunshine, no surf. Would I be correct in thinking these are not the best conditions for any sort of fishing, let alone bass.

I tried a bit of float fishing as well with the same result.

I will not be offended if you say it was not the conditions, it was because I am a rubbish fisherman. I will just put your name in the little black get even book for future reference.

Any guidance appreciated.

Good catches to all

Fred

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Fred

Glad to see you back! just think of it as the best tanning weather and the fishing was extra... I suppose her indoors had a good time? lots of vino calapso?

on to the fish....If we are all honest...".ARE YOU READING MARCUS" we are pretty rubbish at catching fish Fred! the only fish we really catch are the mackies, all the rest just commit HariKari on the hooks, some even this week have tied them selves to the line, 2 fish one hook....go figure...that one out :cool:

what sort of baits did you use? did you manage to have a look at the beach at low water? The calmness of the sea could have been a problem....did you see many sea birds feeding on the sea or diving in around you? the warm still water might have taken the fish to deeper water during the day only coming to the surface to feed during the evening/night? not to worry fred at least you got away from all the wind and rain we had here.. :( :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like fishing a flat calm sea in glorious sunshine, so what if I don't catch anything it gets me out of the house and gets me some peace and quiet in the great outdoors and I get to practice my casting in the warmth of the sun ready for the proper fishing in the winter :D :cool:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Michael, I did look at the beach, rocky with lots of limpets and mussels. Thats was gave me the idea of using limpets for bait. I now have a good mental picture of the ground I will be fishing over next time. Thats half the battle isn,t it.

Barrie, I don't want to give the impression I was complaining, I just wondered if my assessment was correct. The sun was wonderful, and towards the end the evenings became balmy, just right for sitting out with a glass of wine.

After all is said and done, if the fish want to stay in that cold Atlantic water, when they could get nice and warm sitting on top of a barbi, that's their loss.

I have more or less made up my mind that morning and evening high tides are for spinning, hot mid-day high tides are for float fishing with a glass of wine. And before you come in Swelleyman, the wine is for me and not the fish.

Fred

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Essentially I beleive that unless you're a sheer fishing genius you have, OFTEN, (for those who like to knock - not you Fred!) to get to know a venue. Being a gregarious sort of person I talk to the locals wherever I go, particularly if they're catching! Will be doing that at Monknash (are you going to fish there Fred?) however hard it is to converse with Southies (except ... well just about everyone on the site actually!)

But i di-gress (that's a Welshman who cannot stick to the subject) Using limpet, and catching with it, is a promising genius sort of act, so I suspect you'll be after catching more come next time. The still, CLEAR, circumstances suggests care close in, or fishing far off however, but where there is one Wrasse there are more and bigger ones. My only suggestion is to keep ringing the changes of far off and close in and moving a bait in between! Also position in the water, depth etc. Did you keep altering the depth of your float? Did you try float ledgering, a useful way of finding out if there are crab about. Crab is food for Bass. Spinning is an option when fishing in Gin etc. but it's always nice to have some indication of fish about and behaving in a feeding-frenzied sort of way before you get the lures out! Presumably you fished all states of the tide and did you notice if the locals came and went according to tidal states? I'd be a bit worried if there were never any locals where you were fishing. ("crazy Englishman, did you see where he was fishing!!!")

I never like fishing at high water anywhere (a personal and historical quirk), the fish have got more water to spread out into for one thing and the food sources are not as good further up the beach as a general rule (for all those places/people that fish better at half flood and high water!!)

Otherwise it's got to be down to bait! Get to the fishmarket and buy the little oily things (sardines/pilchards)! Rough wine and raw fish, wonderful! You could marinade the bait(fresh) while you waited, so not all would be lost!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swelleyman,

Just picked up your reply. As always gave me lots to think on. I hope we can continue this discussion, but I shall have to wait your decision regarding departure.

Fred

1 - 6 of 6 Posts