World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On both my Yamaha engines (55HP & 8 HP) I have plugs that say "Wash" on the same level as the "Oil Level" plugs just above the gearbox.:unsure:
I have removed these to see exactly how big the bore was for this "washing facility", & it looks rather small to me? (probably 1/8" BSP)?
I wondered how many of you use this as your main washing facility? I use Quicksilver muffs on the main engine & a tub of water for the auxillary, I was wondering just how efficient something like a 1/8" BSP fitting would be in flushing the salt out?

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
On both my Yamaha engines (55HP & 8 HP) I have plugs that say "Wash" on the same level as the "Oil Level" plugs just above the gearbox.:unsure:
I have removed these to see exactly how big the bore was for this "washing facility", & it looks rather small to me? (probably 1/8" BSP)?
I wondered how many of you use this as your main washing facility? I use Quicksilver muffs on the main engine & a tub of water for the auxillary, I was wondering just how efficient something like a 1/8" BSP fitting would be in flushing the salt out?
We had an 8hp Yamaha about 25+ years ago which had a plug you could unscrew to flush the outboard through. Although it was a ling time ago, I'm sure the plug was in the region of 1/2".

Since then, I dont think I've seen an OB with one fitted. I have a 40hp and a 5hp, neither of which have this.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I have added a photo to the post, which should help with the description, its a very small hole for washing, I was thinking about a novel way of doing it, but it involved more salty water!:roll1:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Don't know about older models Skip, but my new Yamaha 20hp has a short length of hose, next to the cowling, which clips onto a push-fit hosepipe connector. Water goes through at a rate of knots.

Did it with the motor in tilt position last week and the cooling water tell-tale spout must have gone over the roof of the garage.

Now that we've got this facility on motors, and brake flushing on some trailers, it makes you wonder why we manfully suffered so many years of corrosion related maintenance problems. It wasn't really a technical breakthrough that solved it was it ? Just a piece of bloody hosepipe.

Pel.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have this on my yam 15hp which is an "85" model and has no side intakes that i can fit my muffs onto so i have to use the flush hole. The thread is approx 8mm. I tried to get hold of the adaptor for it from yam, but after 6 month of back ordering i got fed up so i made one up myself from an 8mm bolt from B&Q and i drilled a 5mm hole through it. I rounded off the hex part of the bolt to allow the hose to fit over the end and it works a treat. Total cost.............14p :D

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I think every manufacturer has their own size and thread for each engine they produce, I have made so many over the years I have lost count, same as the gearbox fill hole, made load of adaptors for them to fill them without leaks all over the floor.

The fittings do work at idle speed but no way would I rev the engine on them.

·
Registered
842 Posts

I had a Mariner 15hp that had a flush port which took a threaded adapter , about 6-8 mm diameter internal hole size and worked a treat, never needed muffs, wish new outboards were the same!!

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think every manufacturer has their own size and thread for each engine they produce, I have made so many over the years I have lost count, same as the gearbox fill hole, made load of adaptors for them to fill them without leaks all over the floor.

The fittings do work at idle speed but no way would I rev the engine on them.
As said above, the flushing system on my new Yam takes a standard push-fit garden hose adapter.

However, the manual clearly states the engine should not be running when flushing.

Pel.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put in the lathe & a 5mm hole drilled through it looks like the answer, knowing my luck it will be 8mm in the one engine, & 3/8"UNF in the other!:giveup:

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Put in the lathe & a 5mm hole drilled through it looks like the answer, knowing my luck it will be 8mm in the one engine, & 3/8"UNF in the other!:giveup:
When I had older Yams I was told not to run the engines using the flush hole just to put water through with a hose & only run them on muffs or in a barrel. Never bothered using the facility because of that.

headlight

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I had a Mariner 15hp that had a flush port which took a threaded adapter , about 6-8 mm diameter internal hole size and worked a treat, never needed muffs, wish new outboards were the same!!

Cheers Ian
My new suzuki has one, my new Mariner has one and my new Merc 115 has one (not on the legs though), as does yours Ian, the one on the 115 merc is a really good idea.

Not sure if it applies to all outboards, but my suzuki DT40 has a flush bung in the bottom of the leg, but to use it correctly, you should tape up the water inlets before using it, otherwise all the water just pours out of the bottom and doesn't go up to the motor properly, if at all.

AL ..

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a yam 40 (about a 1986 model) and made my own flush adaptor, it was a drilled M8 bolt with a brass hose fitting soldered onto the head, it screwed in just below the cavitation plate, used it with the motor running at tickover, worked a treat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts