World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rod hasn't arrived yet but today I want to buy some grey waste pipe and brackets to make up rod holders for the boat.

I didn't want to end up with it too small and wondered what size it should be. The only guide I have is a stainless rod holder I was looking at that was 41mm dia.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Made some up out of waste pipe on an old boat once.
I used the 40mm pipe and it was ok for my rods.

As David said, I would measure your butt caps if they look a bit big.

Alan

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.... it's this Daiwa 8ft heavy spinning rod as advised by ebgb (and sanctioned by Tom too!!).

Unless you can tell that it's a slim one perhaps I ought to wait until it arrives.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I would think that will fit inside a bit of 40mm ok. It dosn`t look very big.

Alan

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Thanks guys.... it's this Daiwa 8ft heavy spinning rod as advised by ebgb (and sanctioned by Tom too!!).

Unless you can tell that it's a slim one perhaps I ought to wait until it arrives.

Thanks,

David
Ah.........Then you might have to buy another better one later then. :laugh: Sorry couldn't resist.......I'm sure it will be fine. And as Tom has A++++st it. Well you can't go wrong........... Daiwa do some good stuff. As it is a spinning rod it will be okay for the 40mm as Alan said.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll get the pipe etc ... and then jump up and down a lot if the image was deceptive and it doesn't fit!

Have you seen my thread "Fishing Gear for Newbie on Scottish West Coast" in the boat angling section Dave? Any thoughts you have to add on it would be appreciated.... as long as you don't say I have to buy another rod and reel!

David

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
No I missed that. I'll have a look. You will have got plenty of advice I'm sure though.

Just did.....Oooh Crinan. Very nice. Big Skate there.....You would need to get out of your boat to land one though.:laugh: You have lots of good advice already. I'll pm you a few ideas of my own a bit later this evening.

Regards,

·
Registered
673 Posts
I made mine from waste pipe, flared the end by warming it with a hot air blower and pushing it onto a wine bottle.
What a cracking idea, will remember that one Brian

Thanks

Martin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts