World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a freind were out boat fishing on Sunday 12 June 2005, from Pwyllheli harbour A group of anglers were launching a number of boats,(I presume that they were together) We had a quick chat regarding the area, they told us that they were on a species hunt and had not fished the area for 4 years.
When we returned to harbour they were just taking the boats out of the water, To our disgust (and those of onlookers) all the fish that they had caught were brought ashore to show each other what they had caught and then flung them into the harbour next to the slipway, some were still alive but only just with no chance of survival, I can only feel shame as a fisherman for this terrible act as a dive boat seen them do this and were appalled by this stupid act.

If you read this and you were one of the fishermen involved you should be ashamed of yourselves. Don't come back untill you have learned to respect the fish you catch and the harbours you use better still sell your boats and take up train spotting you morons.

Jim & Graham

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Hi Jim and welcome to the site.

Agree with you totally, it is why I never fish competitions theses days, I have no wish to kill a fish as either a trophy or to win a prize. Been there in the past and been upset by the slaughter and waste so stopped taking part 15 years ago.

I have thought about comps for a long time and finally there is a way of running one without having to bring fish ashore as proof. If all the boats had a cheap digi camera and a scale the fish could be photographed against the scale as proof of capture and returned to the sea. The scale is produced by the organisers and is unique per comp and it is a condition of the boat's entry that they carry a digi camera. The comp would run on a species basis and once you have your snap of a species you move on to target another. This format means you have to have skill at angling to target the different species and no fish are killed. The scale photographs are scrutinised by the stewards at the end of the comp and fish species identified and sized.

There are still problem with this format but it is better than a dead mound of fish.

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Hi Jim & welcome - excellent first post!

This used to be an issue at Aberystwyth back in the 80s when they had a boatfishing specimen contest every summer. After the weigh-in had finished and the anglers had left there were always good pickings to be had - huss and thornbacks, even the odd bream left lying about in plastic sacks. Used to get weeks' worth of food in a few minutes' scavenging!

It's a difficult one to consider when organising comps. A lot easier if it's a party of 10 on a charter boat and the skipper acts as steward.

That brings back memories too.... of the day when we had a pool for biggest fish and a pool for first fish caught. Mackerel weren't allowed in the latter so when we stopped to drift for bait I stuck a bit of razorfish on my bottom feather, let it drag along the ground and Hey Presto! caught a dab! Lots of "**** I wish I'd thought of that" comments duly followed!

Digital photography is probably the best way ahead with species comps, so long as in order to remove any possible doubt the cameras are all checked prior to setting out to make sure they're empty!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Having the unique scale in the background of the photo stops old photos being used John. The organisers print a scale off in a particular colour or disign and laminate it and these are given to the boats. No scale in photo = fish disqualified.

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
ChrisP said:
Having the unique scale in the background of the photo stops old photos being used John. The organisers print a scale off in a particular colour or disign and laminate it and these are given to the boats. No scale in photo = fish disqualified.
Good point!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not on in this day and age !!

I feel strongly that as decent fisherman we also have a duty to tell them what we think and what they should have done. Im not saying have a big argument or trouble but politely tell them that this kind of disrespect and attitude isnt accepted in this day and age - at least you can then feel happy that youve helped them realise their mistake and maybe just maybe they will think about it next time eh ?

Makes me well mad though - I have a boat and wont even waste a makeral let alone any other fish purely for trophy reasons - **nkers !

·
Registered
325 Posts
as anyone who has read one of my threads knows,i dont catch many fish and 99%of the fish that i luckily catch, get returned so something must be done to stop these ****s, last year i fished down the causeway with a friend and there were a group catching schoolies, because they were so small they were throwing them against the rocks!there were quite a few of them so i didnt say anything so as to avoid confrontation, its really frustrating!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum m8

Excellent post I couldnt aggree more, what a waste of fish :mad:

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
these so called fishing give are sport a bad name.shaggy

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I killed a schoolie the other day-it was windy and I didn't see the bite, brought it in to change my bait and there it was-bleeding heavily from the gills and dead as a doornail and I felt gutted. How someone can deliberately kill fish just for fun is beyond me. Take the occasional legally sized fish for the table by all means (there's a nice 3 lb bass in the fridge at the moment which will be graceing my table this evening). But deliberately killing undersize fish, or dogfish of any size is abhorrent. Unfortunatly posting on this site is preaching to the converted-there must be some way of appealing to those who do this through the normal media as I can't imagine any of these morons taking time to resd forums such as this. :mad:

Ps welcome to the site Jim

Pps Excellent idea ChrisP I suggest you patent it, could be worth a few bob that (don't forget who advised you when you're minted m8)

·
Registered
642 Posts
I was thinking about this issue with match sea angling. I believe that there should be stewards who are responsible for weighing each fish and returning it as soon as the data has been recorded. This would take minutes and would stop the masacre of thousands of fish! :(

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
only just picked up this thread and tbh i'm disgusted that this type of mentality still goes on:schmoll:

·
Registered
449 Posts
we fish pwllheli every weekend and not aware of any boat matches,who organiseds this match ,name and shame them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts