World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
i use long, clipped sliding ledgers with pennel hook set up, usually 3/0 or 4/0 depending on the size of bait,

my idea of long is a 3ft rig body and up to a 5ft snood, when clipped it's about 2'6" long.

60-80lb rig body, 30lb snoods (or 20lb amnesia if that's all i got ! )

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
hi wat rigs will you use in the summer for smooth hounds of worthing pier?
Mr Eels, I wish admire your enthusiasm and optimisum!

IF the hounds arrive off the pier, which they haven't for a few years now :uhuh: , I use a 1 hook up the line fixed hard with crimps to stop it slipping when I hook one. Use 30lb snood line and a 2/0 STRONG hook. Don't put too much bait on, you will miss more than you hook if you do!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Mr Eels, I wish admire your enthusiasm and optimisum!

IF the hounds arrive off the pier, which they haven't for a few years now :uhuh: , I use a 1 hook up the line fixed hard with crimps to stop it slipping when I hook one. Use 30lb snood line and a 2/0 STRONG hook. Don't put too much bait on, you will miss more than you hook if you do!
Only once fished for hounds myself, and managed to catch one, I used a one up clipped down same as you dsd, I reckon if they are there then, their feeding habbits are pretty much the same as doggies?

so snoods up or down will catch, please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Only once fished for hounds myself, and managed to catch one, I used a one up clipped down same as you dsd, I reckon if they are there then, their feeding habbits are pretty much the same as doggies?

so snoods up or down will catch, please correct me if I am wrong.
When they are there in numbers I think you could use a 6" string snood and still catch! More importantly, and many will disagree, is the size of the bait. Go for half an average shore crab. A friend of mine, who you know, got very wound up one year when he could not connect with a fish. He was using a satsuma sized spider crab bait.....on a size 1/0 I think it was!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
an up and over clipprd down running ledger is always good for me it is handy for them as it nails the bait and i always have a good hook hold

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Used to use a pulley rig ,but i now use an up and over rig with the snood swivel close to the lead as poss so it acts like a bolt rig.
As DSD has said you dont need big baits but strong very sharp hooks 2/0 is plenty big enough as long as its a strong patern.
I m sure others have there favourites but that works well for me and i seem to hook up more than i did with pulley rigs.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
When they are there in numbers I think you could use a 6" string snood and still catch! More importantly, and many will disagree, is the size of the bait. Go for half an average shore crab. A friend of mine, who you know, got very wound up one year when he could not connect with a fish. He was using a satsuma sized spider crab bait.....on a size 1/0 I think it was!!
Remember that evening ..... same person i assume ? ...once had 9 pre baited traces ready when he was hound bashing! Got into a good arguement with his bro. :fishing:

·
Registered
241 Posts
3/0 pennel pulley rig. like someone said half a good sized crab is best for presenation and hook up ratio sometimes they run with a big bait and drop it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts