World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Squeezed in 3 days boat fishing on a break in Kenya last week..possibly pretty average to big game regulars but I had an absolute ball.

Sunday...wild day...seas like the roaring forties but pleasant enough temperature wise....28C..2 GTs to 23Kgs..1 Kingfish at 13KG...2 yellowfin tuna to 12KGs...a Dorado of 11KGs..lost a huge bull shark after an hour which took something pretty big we had caught and was on the way up....a million Bonito...oh and lost a good Black Marlin after 45 minutes of torture pretty near to the boat....which was a real bummer.....at least I did not get the bell rung and need to buy the entire bar a drink though...it's a Scots thing....:wiggle:

Tranquil Indian Ocean......:unsure:

Good enough days fishing though.

GT Bruisers.......:boxing:

Colourful characters.

We lost one of these bad boys but someone landed this one the following day....nae wonder I was goosed.......:cry:

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thursday......nice day.....calmish 2 metre seas....29C...5 sailfish to 28KG....4 tagged and released....one bleeding badly from the gills so was killed..1 Kingfish.....can't remember the size we ate it for dinner (never ever come back as a kingfish they always get eaten)....and heaps of bonito....as you do.

We are sail..ing......:doh:

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Friday...30C....flat calm....probably too calm....1 wahoo 20ish Kg if I remember correctly...1 yellowfin tuna of 25ish KG...4 dorado to 20KGs....pretty seriously meaty dorados apparently...a few of the natives were getting a tad excited at the weigh in to see if they went over the 20KGs mark or not....and another hour long knee trembler with a bull shark which grabbed a wahoo on the way up....broke the line.....and me...:cry: ....and a million bonitos....as you do....:fish:

Many thanks to a couple of guys on WSF for advice to a bungling amatuer regarding fishing in the Malindi area at this time of year...it was very much appreciated....oh and the local nightlife was certainly very...err...as described...:whistling

Colourful fash today.....:bounce:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hah! I beat Les to the reply!
Great report and pics.
Encouraging to see the season's started with a flourish.
Only 4 months to go!
Can't wait to try the new gear.
And nice to see you stayed at the "proper" hotel. Hehe
Andy

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hah! I beat Les to the reply!
Great report and pics.
Encouraging to see the season's started with a flourish.
Only 4 months to go!
Can't wait to try the new gear.
And nice to see you stayed at the "proper" hotel. Hehe
Andy
Not what Les says, his language at the choice was well...........choice.............:slap:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ah, but he only knows the theory.
The reality is more!
Who will get the first porgie?
I have all the gear, but ........?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
why the dead GT's, they normally tag and release them....

badly hooked??

nice big felusi there as well steve, you did well there, usually they don't top much over 10kg, i had one at 15kg last year and it was the biggest angus had seen for quite some time...

probably the somali pirates doing us a favour scaring off the jap longliners up north...

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why the dead GT's, they normally tag and release them....

badly hooked??

nice big felusi there as well steve, you did well there, usually they don't top much over 10kg, i had one at 15kg last year and it was the biggest angus had seen for quite some time...

probably the somali pirates doing us a favour scaring off the jap longliners up north...
No idea big guy, when in Rome I always do what the Romans do or shut up and let them get on with what they do anyway............and didn't know any better..........one thing for sure, absolutely nothing would be wasted.

It was a horrendously wild day with as much water in the cockpit as out of it. Whether they got a bit beat up or gaffing was the only way to get them aboard in the conditions I have no idea, there was too much going on for a shamatuer like me to take it all in. Possibly the start of the season and they had not kept many fish..........me no ken tbh...........:unsure:

Yeh the Falusi (that was the name for Dorado that I couldn't remember) caused quite a stir, the biggy was on a spinning rod which was much more fun than those big heavy broomstick thingys.............:fishing1:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
No idea big guy, when in Rome I always do what the Romans do or shut up and let them get on with what they do anyway............and didn't know any better..........one thing for sure, absolutely nothing would be wasted.

It was a horrendously wild day with as much water in the cockpit as out of it. Whether they got a bit beat up or gaffing was the only way to get them aboard in the conditions I have no idea, there was too much going on for a shamatuer like me to take it all in. Possibly the start of the season and they had not kept many fish..........me no ken tbh...........:unsure:

Yeh the Falusi (that was the name for Dorado that I couldn't remember) caused quite a stir, the biggy was on a spinning rod which was much more fun than those big heavy broomstick thingys.............:fishing1:
probably short on bookings and therefore dough at this time of year, can't blame them....

last year we were there during the political upheaval and they had no bookings, after days of eating dorado and wahoo for lunch we were getting green skin and sharp teeth so tony and i rebelled against angus, we'd been getting yellowfins to about 25kg and they are worth the most on the market so it was "no chance" when we asked for one to get cut up for sashimi and steaks for lunch, so us and the crew staged a mutiny and got our way, a 25kg yellowfin worth about £40.00 was duly chopped up, raw sahimi styled with limes and soy with a hint of chilli for starters, and then cooked just the way we liked it in the kenya black lemon pepper....:yeah:

nice wee treat, shame there wasn't any ice cream for desert.....:icecream:

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
probably short on bookings and therefore dough at this time of year, can't blame them....

last year we were there during the political upheaval and they had no bookings, after days of eating dorado and wahoo for lunch we were getting green skin and sharp teeth so tony and i rebelled against angus, we'd been getting yellowfins to about 25kg and they are worth the most on the market so it was "no chance" when we asked for one to get cut up for sashimi and steaks for lunch, so us and the crew staged a mutiny and got our way, a 25kg yellowfin worth about £40.00 was duly chopped up, raw sahimi styled with limes and soy with a hint of chilli for starters, and then cooked just the way we liked it in the kenya black lemon pepper....:yeah:

nice wee treat, shame there wasn't any ice cream for desert.....:icecream:
The big guy was out every day but the other boats were certainly a lot quieter.

I quite liked Hemingways, it was dead though so nae screaming brats thankfully............:clap:.............when we added up everything you got included it was pretty good VFM, and the food was up there with anything I have had anywhere in the world.............and consistently so which is pretty unusual.

Laughing at your Somalian Pirates.........there was a couple of times in Malindi it felt like downtown Mogadishu...........in fact we christened it Mog after that............:ph34r:

Nae icecream............:nono:...........you should have come back to mine and Andys place............:icecream:..:wiggle:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The big guy was out every day but the other boats were certainly a lot quieter.

Laughing at your Somalian Pirates.........there was a couple of times in Malindi it felt like downtown Mogadishu...........in fact we christened it Mog after that............:ph34r:

Nae icecream............:nono:...........you should have come back to mine and Andys place............:icecream:..:wiggle:
you picked me up wrong, the tuna for our lunch was on the boat, plenty ice cream in turtle bay, might take a food flask in january and fill it at tea time for the next day on the boat just to see the look on the deckies faces when i pull it out of my bag...:icecream::icecream:

malindi....what a *****hole...:nonono:

the problem with turtle bay is the "repeaters" folk who have been going there for years, have their own table/beach chair, are best friends with abdul the barman who gives them larger measures on the QT but in reality is probs gobbing in it....:clap: tedious...:sad2:

even though it's an all inclusive we quite often go into the village and drink in the jambo bar and the comeback club, did you try the "pole pole club" across the road??

what a dump.... friendly guys in there though, but very much like a scheme pub if you know what i mean...

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you picked me up wrong, the tuna for our lunch was on the boat, plenty ice cream in turtle bay, might take a food flask in january and fill it at tea time for the next day on the boat just to see the look on the deckies faces when i pull it out of my bag...:icecream::icecream:

malindi....what a *****hole...:nonono:

the problem with turtle bay is the "repeaters" folk who have been going there for years, have their own table/beach chair, are best friends with abdul the barman who gives them larger measures on the QT but in reality is probs gobbing in it....:clap: tedious...:sad2:

even though it's an all inclusive we quite often go into the village and drink in the jambo bar and the comeback club, did you try the "pole pole club" across the road??

what a dump.... friendly guys in there though, but very much like a scheme pub if you know what i mean...
I didnae pick you up wrong twas a psstake............Hemingways always deliver fresh icecream to the boat at lunchtime you know.............:showoff:

Regarding where I was............hell knows.............it was very dark and all I could see was us and lots of teeth and eyes............:unsure:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yep, Garry's still there.
He was over here a couple of weeks ago for the CLA gamefair.
Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZENYHSh1Sc
And Les, Icecream on the boats?
It's Mojitas and Dawas all the way! LOL
A
i'll stick to tusker and a fine scottish malt from my many hipflasks thank you...

we asked at TBBC cocktail hour for a mojito and were met with blank stares, how about a margarita... a what??:doh::doh:

never mind, mbili tusker, baridi sana....:happy:

did you get that porgie then??

i might have vicariously beat you, my mate got one off poole yesterday, est 300lb....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts