World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all I’m heading down to watchet on Friday(from shoreham) for a holiday going to be there a week, just looking for some where that would be good sport, 2 things to keep in mind is 1 I’m not going to have a tripod as can’t fit it all in the car and 2 I’m going to be with a few guys that don’t fish.

Also just out of interest what’s about down there and what bait you guys favouring?? Cheers

·
Registered
621 Posts
I can’t tell you about the venue or how and what to fish there but you can consider instead of tripod to get a sand spike. They light, cheap and short in length. Salt of Shakespeare has a good one which I use when I don’t need to carry a tripod.

·
Registered
118 Posts
West Coast Tackle in both Watchet and Minehead will give you plenty of steer. Craig Butler does guiding too I think.

Fishing really picking up in Somerset right now based on what I'm seeing on various social media. Everyone out on the hounds. And sole.

Harbour wall itself is popular. Low effort option.

Blue Anchor not far along the coast.

Charters from Watchet if you fancy boat option.

Baits in the area are the usual. Lug, rag, squid, fish or peelers.

Don't forget the Channel tide run is nuts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can’t tell you about the venue or how and what to fish there but you can consider instead of tripod to get a sand spike. They light, cheap and short in length. Salt of Shakespeare has a good one which I use when I don’t need to carry a tripod.

Good idea didn’t think of a spike have to get one down there

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
West Coast Tackle in both Watchet and Minehead will give you plenty of steer. Craig Butler does guiding too I think.

Fishing really picking up in Somerset right now based on what I'm seeing on various social media. Everyone out on the hounds. And sole.

Harbour wall itself is popular. Low effort option.

Blue Anchor not far along the coast.

Charters from Watchet if you fancy boat option.

Baits in the area are the usual. Lug, rag, squid, fish or peelers.

Don't forget the Channel tide run is nuts.

Nice one thanks for the info mate, want to head for a session on my own heard lilstock is good

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice one thanks for the info mate, want to head for a session on my own heard lilstock is good
Distance casts to avoid snags in that kinda mark. Wide range of species as usual in Bristol Channel. Rays, hounds etc. Chucking a big bait out on pulley pennel is the local custom.

Bossington another local favourite not that far either. Other side of Minehead.

If you did just fancy mooching about the many wall venues around the area, then obviously no tripod / spike needed.

·
Registered
16,736 Posts
Hi mate, it’s all pebbles/boulders at lilstock (and reefs)so you’d really need a tripod.

Also pebble at bossington.

If you went the sand spike route, Minehead town beach is an option - fish the flood up.

Best advice, speak to either the watchet or Minehead shops (same owners) and figure out with them where you can fish, best bait etc.

As said, don’t forget the extreme tide range - you can’t stay put on a mark like the south coast, you do need to target the tide windows...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Distance casts to avoid snags in that kinda mark. Wide range of species as usual in Bristol Channel. Rays, hounds etc. Chucking a big bait out on pulley pennel is the local custom.

Bossington another local favourite not that far either. Other side of Minehead.

If you did just fancy mooching about the many wall venues around the area, then obviously no tripod / spike needed.

Thanks for the heads up on snags, I use a pulley Pennel as it is as I’m a after a specimen ray as it is, il make my mind up when I’m there about where I’m going to do a sesh

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi mate, it’s all pebbles/boulders at lilstock (and reefs)so you’d really need a tripod.

Also pebble at bossington.

If you went the sand spike route, Minehead town beach is an option - fish the flood up.

Best advice, speak to either the watchet or Minehead shops (same owners) and figure out with them where you can fish, best bait etc.

As said, don’t forget the extreme tide range - you can’t stay put on a mark like the south coast, you do need to target the tide windows...

Cheers mate I’m in Minehead tomorrow meeting up with family so il pop in shop see what they say haven’t given much thought to tide range il do my homework later on it thanks bud

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
both tackle shops in watchet and minehead will give great advise and good bait. speak to them and tell them when you can fish and they will be able to recommend a venue to suit tide time.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Hi, I'm local and mostly fish lowater reefs, which need strong tackle 6oz grips etc
Unfortunately without detailed knowledge of tides and positions of the fishable marks, it could be a nightmare for you. A lot of areas are tackle graveyards, and you can get cut off with tide rapidly flooding behind on a lot of.marks.

If I was you I would either book a guiding session with Craig Buttler or stick to the two harbour walls, minehead, watchet(both good ) or fish high marks like gasworks, blue anchor. Bossington is good for hounds, fish anytime on pebbles.
Squid and crab should be all you need bait wise, with maybe some sandeels for spotted etc.
At least tides are dropping now, so won't pull too much next week.
Cheers si

1 - 11 of 11 Posts