World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to go out on the weekend, when to my dissmay engine would not start. After a bit of detective work its appears a fair amount of water had entered my fuel tank via the filler cap on the transom. I have a Quicksiver water seperating filter fitted in before the engine, only changed the thing 5 hours ago, but with the amount of water in the tank, it could'nt cope with it. I have now changed the filler to a better design which should have sorted it, also have a filter on order with a glass trap so you can see if there is any water in the system much sooner than when you break down.
Couple of Questions: Anybody had same problem with a 2 year old Pilothouse 620? Has any one used a Quicksiver water eliminator in the fuel tank. Tried to take out the plugs on a Merc 90hp 4stroke at sea, Not easy I'm sure.

Cheers Steve

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Got the same boat engine cobo. Never had any grief yet, 3rd year. I fill the tank to the brim when I leave it over winter. Stops the water getting in.

Would not try to take the plugs out at sea, all sorts to remove before you get to them

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had the same kindda problem on my old boat, but as chrisP said if you keep the tank full winter time the problem seems to go away. must be the cold weather or somthing.

As a matter of interest how often should you change the water blocker?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Chris, Has your filler got a green inner part to it? Mine has and its leaking through the seal which has all craked and also through the middle of the cap where the opening lever slots in, it looks to be leaking water at a fair rate, I would check it out if you have the same one. As you say, I try to keep the tank full at all times but with water being heavier than the fuel it will go to the bottom. The newer models of boat have a much better design of cap fitted.

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Chris,
Did you have any sign of water in your tank? Seem to have cured my problem by fitting a new filler that covers the skin fitting complete.

Cheers Steve

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Yep, I took the tank out last week and drained it, There was about a litre of water in it, so I cleaned it out just in case. The 'O' ring was starting to crack so that has been replaced with a neoprene ring. I Pressurised the cap and no leaks now so left it as is.

Thanks for the warning.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to be of some help Chris. I haven't ventured that far with the tank, was it much of a job to do?

Cheers Steve

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Easy to take out, problem was finding enough tanks to hold all the fuel. Take off the supply hose, the filler and breather hoses and dis the tank sender unit. On top of the tank there is a 'T' in Stainless, this is threaded and secures the tank to the deck.

I drained the fuel via a syphon tube to make the tank managable then lifted it out. Cleaned it out with a steam cleaner and then put on air line in it whilst it was upside down to dry it out.

Think I will make it an annual job, can't be too carefull.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts