World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to put a livebait tank onto my boat and i am thinking of using a bilge pump to run it at anchor and using a water pick to run it on the move. Only i cant seem to find a suitable water pickup available in this country. Can anyone help ? What do you all use.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
I've fitted a system on my boat that has a 90 degree plastic plumbing elbow facing forward on a through hull bilge pump so that at anchor or drifting I can run the pump, while travelling the water is pushed up through the pump and into the tank. I made a bracket to mount the through hull pump on the transom and it works really well.

Worth putting a free flowing tap between the pump and the tank, that way you don't fill the tank when you don't want to use it and thus avoid carrying all that weight of water.

Always best to keep it simple IMHO.

Evilbay 140615881050 is the one I used.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping to find a transom mounted stainless fitting rathen than a through hull fitting. Just cant seem to find one over here. Some in auz and usa !!

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
I was hoping to find a transom mounted stainless fitting rathen than a through hull fitting. Just cant seem to find one over here. Some in auz and usa !!
If you use the system I've fitted it is dead simple and the plastic 90 degree plumbing bend won't rust. No through hull holes to drill either using my method. :)

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
I would use a live well pump instead of a bilge pump and just keep it running. If your engine is charging the battery then there is nothing to gain by switching the pump off when you are moving. In my experience with things on boats, the simplest solution tends to be the one that keeps working.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
I would use a live well pump instead of a bilge pump and just keep it running. If your engine is charging the battery then there is nothing to gain by switching the pump off when you are moving. In my experience with things on boats, the simplest solution tends to be the one that keeps working.
That is one of my mottos mate! The bilge pumps I'm using are very cheap to replace and I think are actually described as livewell or bilge pumps. That said I haven't had one go wrong yet.

I've got the 90 degree plumbing bend fitted straight on the inlet of the pump then a pipe that runs up to the tank, near the top of that pipe is a free flowing tap (don't want anything restrictive when in the open position) so that you can stop the water from going into the tank when you aren't using it. The other side of that tap goes to the tank via a short piece of hose and for a drain I've just drilled a series of 8mm holes around the tank. My tank sits on the swim platform rather than inboard so no need to pipe the water away. By using a series of small holes rather than a single pipe outlet I don't lose sandeels or launce or end up with a mackerel with its head stuck down the outlet blocking it off LOL

The pump is mounted on the transom so that the 90 degree bend is just below the hull line, facing forwards.

I chose to fit a switch to mine which is up in the cabin so not exposed to salt water.

Dead easy to fit and use. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So does that pump have a threaded inlet to screw the bend into ? If so its sounding v favourable.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
This is what I use, it works perfectly.
It's fully automatic and only runs the pump when stationary or at very low speed.

It bolts to the transom so that the slash cut pick-up tube sits just below the bottom of the hull. When moving, water is forced up the tube and into the tank.
When stationary, the boat sits lower in the water so that it activates the pump via the float switch. Both the pick-up tube and the pump have non return valves so that the water has to travel to the tank.
The pick-up tube is 1" PVC that is very robust but flexible enough to withstand beach launching and taking the ground.
I built this system three seasons ago and it has been flawless. It attaches to a permanently fixed mounting plate that has two threaded studs. I remove it during the winter when I stop using live bait.

Here it is from the side..

I used 3/4" push fit plumbing fittings and 1" PVC hose which fits perfectly over 3/4" pipe to retain the non-return valves.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
beach launching was one of my problems, I was thinking about making the inlet hinged, but you say you manage ok.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Any chance of a photo of the complete system in situ please?

Thanks
Here you go.
The last picture shows the mounting plate with the pick-up removed.
I use a rectangular tank with the inlet above the outlet at the same end. It's an old fish farming trick that gives a good flow without creating a vortex. There is an external stand pipe on the tank to control the level. Mine discharges into one of the scuppers which is self draining.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts