World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I'm going to replace the fuse/connector box in my electronics cubby in my boat's hard-top.
As its an area that gets a fair bit of condensation, I'm looking for a waterproof or sealed unit with up to 10 or 12 connectors; ideally taking blade fuses and with spade connectors.

Evilbay has a 10way blade fuse, spade connector box (autostar) that doesnt look very waterproof; and also a 12way blade fuse, bus bar type of the same make. Closest I've found but neither look suitably waterproof for the purpose.
Not really found what I'm after on online chandleries either.

Any suggestions please at product to look at?

Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
If you are getting condensation rather than seawater ingress I'd see if you can get a bit of ventilation going before looking at waterproof fuse boxes mate. All you will end up with is a waterproof fuse holder box full of condensation otherwise.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are getting condensation rather than seawater ingress I'd see if you can get a bit of ventilation going before looking at waterproof fuse boxes mate. All you will end up with is a waterproof fuse holder box full of condensation otherwise.
Hey Paul, no ingress or issues in the cabin. No issues with the main fuses either, this fuse box is in the electronics cubby in the actual hardtop.
As its a walkaround or 'open' boat as you fondly call it - the electonics cubby in the hardtop (which has perspex lockable screen) is well ventilated and prone to condensation daily.
The fusebox in there has no cover and some of the male spade connectors have oxidised.
Been having loads of issues with the brand new sonar black box in particar - constantly turning itself off - which seems to be related to connections, or its faulty; so I want to renew that fusebox and all the connections with a decent waterproof one.

894 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
212 Posts
I made up my own though as I had nearly all the kit given to me and housed it in a waterproof box.
Jeff.
I've been following these threads as I'm about to embark on a similar re-wiring project.
I'm still trying to find a waterproof box rated IP55 or above that fastens with thumbscrews or clips rather than the cross point or slotted screws that your box uses.
In the event of a fuse blowing, do you really want to be looking for a screwdriver to undo 6 or 8 screws in a heavy sea ?

894 Posts
Good point Sparky.......I will try and source a few "wing bolts" as opposed to wing nuts....I can get some threaded bar cut to length and have the "wings" braised on? Thumbscrews would be ideal of course so I will start looking out for a supplier localy or on the net.

894 Posts
A quick Google found they are more common than you think Sparky!.....just look for "thumb bolts", "wing bolts" or "thumb screws"....or any mix of that lot!
All you have to do is find the correct size and thread for your box mate....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.