World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Can wd40 increase catches of fish related to sharks such as dogfish, smoothies, rays?
This thread comes up the whole time, and most seem to be agreed it is an urban myth. I recall 'facts' going round the internet suggesting it was made using fish oil, but it isn't.
I think you can find reference to this myth on WD40's own site.
If you want to use oil, perhaps 'cod liver oil'. I have no knowledge of that, but imagine it would be a better bet than a petrochemical?

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
This thread comes up the whole time, and most seem to be agreed it is an urban myth. I recall 'facts' going round the internet suggesting it was made using fish oil, but it isn't.
I think you can find reference to this myth on WD40's own site.
If you want to use oil, perhaps 'cod liver oil'. I have no knowledge of that, but imagine it would be a better bet than a petrochemical?
i,m aso certainly not convinced yet or prepared to cover my hard earned fresh bait with it.

but i have fished alongside a mate who has used it on a few occasions recently where hes been the only one to catch cod while us around him struggle.

i,m not saying it was the wd that attracted the fish but ....... i certainly doesnt put them off.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
My theory is that WD-40, being a water displacement fluid, keeps the sea water from washing a bait out as such and so it retains its scent for longer/better, and therefore appeals to the fish more....

Jim

·
Registered
25,005 Posts
Get yourself a tub of pure pilchard oil,that does seem to work.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I remember a spate of WD40 use from around the mid 80's... never had to much luck with it tho & i'm pretty sure its a vegetable oil based tho.

Even tho i've messed around with home made scents which most of em catch doggies but not tried fish sauce yet which is 12 month old fermented fish juice its an oriental ingredient which can be purchased in supermarkets etc :idea:

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
My theory is that WD-40, being a water displacement fluid, keeps the sea water from washing a bait out as such and so it retains its scent for longer/better, and therefore appeals to the fish more....

Jim
it could be the opposite.. as a release agent it actually breaks down other thicker fats, oils and greases so could actually be helping to disperse more of your baits oils andscents.

dont know how that theory works on worms though.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Really don't go for the water displacement theory. A couple of minutes in salt water with any amount of tide run and any trace of WD40 will be long gone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts