World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
i dont know if this is a old wives tale but i was talking to my uncles m8 yesterday and he sayd that when he goes fishing for conger he sprays
wd40 on his bait and it works a treat

has anyone else heard this or is he trying to take the... :boat:

G

·
This comes up every couple of months for fish in general. You get the same divided opinions as appear on most bait additives. Theories tend to be:

a) It contains fish oil

b) It disperses oils in the bait.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another good one to try is some form of garlic oil as garlic is an appetite enhancer try something from your local reptile pet shop as they use a spray to encourage feeding on animals that have lost their appetite. It comes in handy 250ml srays looks greeny in colour and works a treat on jellies and spinners:secret:

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
This was covered around 6 weeks ago.

Anyone want to find the link?:giveup:

G

·
The search engine doesn't like short words..... WD40 slips under the radar. As does "Abu", which was a pain when I was deciding what reel to buy.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
l use it all the time on rusty bolts and stuff but l wouldnt spray it on my fresh bait for no one its 2 bloody dear to buy nowadays

G

·
I had some cheapo version - for mechanical rather than bait tampering purposes. On the label it said "Harmful to aquatic life".

G

·
I was told about two days ago that cod liver oil was one that didn't work.......prior to that I thought of doing just that.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I had some cheapo version - for mechanical rather than bait tampering purposes. On the label it said "Harmful to aquatic life".
See here:

http://www.wd40.co.uk/media/adobe/2/0/WD-40_aerosol_MSDS.pdf

I think there are two schools of thought on this - one that it works cos it contains fish oils,though as has been said, it may just be that the fish are there the day you use it and the other train of thought that it is actually harmful to the aquatic environment...:uhuh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts