World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reported this on Scottish Forum but though might be of interests to others. Fished other day with sea coloured and set up 2 rods. Used, sandeel, squid and razor in various combinations. The 9 fish I caught, Whiting, LSD and Bass were all caught with the bait sprayed with WD40, the other rod using no WD40 blanked.

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
Reported this on Scottish Forum but though might be of interests to others. Fished other day with sea coloured and set up 2 rods. Used, sandeel, squid and razor in various combinations. The 9 fish I caught, Whiting, LSD and Bass were all caught with the bait sprayed with WD40, the other rod using no WD40 blanked.

.hmmm,interesting,was led to believe it only worked in conjunction with fish baits:g: :)

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Think we've been here before! Sorry, but not the kind of thing I'm ever going to consider using. No point at all in putting oil based products on bait, may as well dip it in diesel.

Let me know when the England team start using it and maybe I'll give it a go, but until then I think I'll just stick with plain old lug and crab!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I spray my bass lures with WD40 to stop the hooks from rusting. It has never done any harm, perhaps it has actually attracted bass? Something i have never thought of before really, although i doubt it.

·
Banned
115 Posts
The WD40 as bait additive phenonmena came to light through anglers polishing up their lures with the stuff and reporting improved catches. Although it was never proved for certain whether it was the WD40, or the now shiny looking lure, that really improved catches.

As for spraying the stuff on natural baits, I can't comment from experience but would you want someone to spray it on your food given that it contains 'petroleum distillates'?

Cheers, P.T.

·
Registered
5 Posts
rozzerfish and i tried it at west bexington, he had 2 on wd, i had nothing until i used it then had 3 doggys, it was strange, but we are convinced that it works, will try again next time, see if we get the same type of results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
strange it may seem to spray an oil based additive on your bait, but if you check out the berkley artificial baits, they actually sell crabs soaked in motor oil and with the testing experience of a big company its got to be said that it does work.:g:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
i have tryed it 1's on squid but nothing, then again there has got2 b fish
there 2 test it.
if u r fishing with u'r normal baits & catching fish well u would'nt just think
2 give a bait a spray would ya?
i do know lads that have used it on boats with good catches:)

·
Official Jokes Forum Examiner
61,171 Posts
my mate had a 20lb blonde ray by spraying wd40 on his mackeral , totally stunned me , so it must work :g:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts