World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day people, could you please help.

I nornally use pennel pullys when fishing rocky marks but how do you incorprate a weak link.

I have just been making me traces and i have put a small swivel just about the weight with a lighter line attched to the lead. Now that i am thinking about this i have just made my shock leader useless !!!!

Any ideas please.

Leigh.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I use a Breakaway IMP to clip down the hook and then attach to the fastlink anything you like - ie. weight, any rotton bottom link ... makes no difference as the hook will always clip to the IMP if that makes sense !

This is using a Gemini style link - as ever, although this gives good strength to the link/weight - be wary using power casting techniques ...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks lads, i have a couple of packets of those imp thingys in me garage might start to use them now.

Leigh
They are really good for any rig & 100% release - plus you can use any lead you like, the clip down makes no difference as they clip to the IMP not the weight.

Good luck !

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I do alot of rockfishing and use rotten bottoms alot.so heres a couple tips....Purchase some Gemini style leadlinks(cheap ones are £5.00 per 100 on ebay) snip the clip approx 4mm from the bend on the open side and theres your rotten bottom clip..easy.Your leader ties onto the eye as usual. You tie a weaker than your mainline peice of line to the eye of the clip and a weight to the other,put the weight on the clip when casting and it will usually release when it hits the seabed...you can tweak the clip slightly outwards to personal preferance to get a near 100%release rate. On the same theme you can purchase some long tail wires ( the ones with a loop at each end ..approx £5.00 a 100 ) cut them in half and bend the end around to the desired shape to make your own heavy duty rotten bottom clips. (two clips per wire..so its the cheapest method) The shop bought rotten bottoms with the disc on the wire that is supposed to release on impact with the water can release early if powercasting...so i avoid those and find it safer and much cheaper to make my own as described.

These homemade clips work best with weights that have a loop shape eye. If using longtail style weights (where the eye is smaller) then it is best to bend the eye 45 degrees and the weight must be put onto the clip from the bent side first so as it will release easily.If you try it youll see what i mean. But my personal preferance is to stick with the larger loop style lead weights like the breakaway beaded style when using rotten bottoms,as the release rate is highest.
You can put your usual bait clips on the leader above these clips.e.g impact shields

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
cannylad on this very site makes some goodens drop him a p.m.
hope this helps dai

1 - 7 of 7 Posts