World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading through the posts I've noticed a lot of weavers being caught. I went to school in fleetwood and was always told horror stories about shrimpers getting stung by them. How do you deal with them when you get one? How big do they grow? I saw a little one once on a school trip trawlering up the wyre estury and the teacher knackered someone for nearly touching one we caught.:nono:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
They don't grow very big,and I usually just shake them off the hook....nasty little sods they are !

·
Registered
649 Posts
weaver stings bit like a bee sting, Only worse. Not a prob to most people, never heard of a fatal one. Only treatment that works is very hot water. I mean as hot as you can stand without scalding. Knew one Cornish netter who used to carry a thermos of hot water just for the stings. Been stung a couple of times, once stood on one bare foot bass plugging, and once pulled a raft of weed off my trace and one of the b*****ds was on the hook. Got me between my fingers, sting not too bad, but swelling pushed the joints apart. Not nice

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
You only seem to get bothered by them during the summer just have a glove in your box to take them off the hook AS ABOVE HOT WATER the best if you get stung just familiarise your self with the fish there are a few spiney fish around but the wever is the worst in uk water's .....................tony c

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
nah, pishin on em is only good for black urchins, it still hurt like hell though after I'd emptied me bladder over it !

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
just hold the thing in a cloth to unhook it, it's as dangerous as a wasp or a square yard of stinging nettles, every summer thousands of fish are stamped on, smashed, carved up and killed..... a very few of them are weavers..... any ugly looking fish gets it; dragonets, wrasse, sea scorpions etc. Please get to know your fish before going fishing.....and don't stamp on any of them.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The venom is called 5hydroxi-triptamine and is one of the biggest pain inducers known to man, luckily the dose given by Weavers is small.

To unhook I simply wrap in a cloth but have seen them with a single spine on each gill cover as well as those on the dorsal fin. Only trouble with the cloth method is the spines sometimes catch in the cloth and when you shake it out it does not come out cleanly causing me to do a fantastic dance, or so says my son!!!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
there is no excuse for anyone standing on a fish just because they think it is a weever ! unhook them gently with a cloth or glove and returm them to the water as you would any other fish you were not going to eat.

I have seen some massive ones caught in the algarve and they are very nice to eat i am told, the locals were taking them off me to eat.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Your mate is obviously pure class and a top angler. What a charming gentleman he must be. Why not just grasp the hook with pliers and shake the weever back into the water as anyone with more than one brain cell would do.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
weaver's are the same as any fish and should be treated accordingly ,but with a little more care,

please keep your comments on abusing fish of the forums as they will not be tolerated and deleted as it not only puts yourselves in a bad light but the site aswell

thanks .................daz

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
here's a weever i caught Sunday just so you all know what they look like the spikes that do the damage are the ones on its back in the black bit of fin. and yes it was safely returned.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
working on a shrimper when l was abit younger l hated wearing gloves but l got spiked 5 times on the same hand hurt like hell but l soon learnt to ware gloves after that but never caught one here on the rod.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great Info, thanx. If I manage to be unfortunate enough to catch one I surely will return it safely(for me & the fish). :victory:

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is a cracking weaver cascars, if you get one that big they make great eating, grill it and the heat will kill the venom, but make sure you cut the spines off before serving!!! My mate once got stung on the north pier he panicked and phoned an ambulance!! spent the afternon sat in A+E with his finger in hot water!!:laugh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts