World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out to Arbroath today with F1F3R for a shot at the pollack and coalies on light gear. Supposed to be a rock hopping session but with the extra 2 beachcasters and bucket of bait i wasnt moving very far. Wind was due to be about 15mph but someone decided it would be wind to double that for the day!

Got a bit of shelter at the mark but not that much. Water was reasonably clear and fairly calm close in, all in all looked a good day apart from the wind.

However not much fish about. Tried spinning with jellies and shads with very little takes.

F1F3R was the first into a fish. New species for him and i think his favourite so far, nice little lumpsucker. I now think Andy will be specifically targetting them! Yeah couldnt be further from the truth:yucky: :yucky:

Next fish to me on the baited rods. Small cod at about 1lb and missed another small bite while i was messing around with the spinner.

No bites until about low tide on the jellies, really poor show. Fished all over the area at different depths and jelly types, just nothing there. But i did manage to hook into a pollack, im guessing no more than 3lb. First fish with the braid. Great fight. The no stretch line really helps to keep the head up and away from the snags. Lovely fight. Steaming off all directions possible on the way in. Did notice that the fish was quite thin, maybe just back in after spawning?

Last fish to me on the jellies again. Opposite end of the rocks this time. Had been coming over a high ledge for a few casts just snagging the top each time. Altered the drop slightly to miss the tip and picked up a fish on the other side. Again a cracking fight on the braid. Unlike the pollack that took a brief rest on half way in this fish didnt stop diving. Pulled out a nice cod maybe just over 2lb.

And thats it, on its day we should have had a lot more fish, but i think the wind just stirred up the sea enough to put the fish out of reach. But as ever the black and orange jellies were the best.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
nice fish not a nice day wind was a pain here aswell,

my mate held the shore caught record for lumpsucker well into the late 90s

·
Registered
440 Posts
:clap3: :clap3: :clap3: Cracking pics guys, shame about the wind, i decided not to venture out, now i wish i had:clap3:

·
Registered
968 Posts
:) Great report martin. I still think you are being a bit harsh on the mark though.
It's still a few weeks yet till the place will be going full tilt. The best is yet to come.
:)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:) Great report martin. I still think you are being a bit harsh on the mark though.
It's still a few weeks yet till the place will be going full tilt. The best is yet to come.
:)
Without a doubt. But from last weeks report the wind has definatly put the fish off somehow.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
a night on the curry puts me off my wind aswell

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
bob ye forgot too mention my beautiful lumpsucker lol :) NOT.
damm, that is the uglist thing ive seen since i last looked in mirror lol.

what a long day , but still good too get out again, aye martin was a wee bit windy ehh. not ideal for pollack i dont think, but still you managed :) bu66er hehe.
and a couple off codling too. well done m8.

great report and pics,

ps camera's must lie, as that fish looked way uglier too me than whats in the pics YUK . nightmares tonight i think .

however its a new species , 1st and last i hope . :)

cheers
Andy

·
Registered
968 Posts
:) I must admit they are like the Klingon race of fish. Skin like leather with the strange sucker underneath. But very rare to catch. I think i have only ever caught a couple in all the years i've fished. Well done:clap3:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
:) I must admit they are like the Klingon race of fish. Skin like leather with the strange sucker underneath. But very rare to catch. I think i have only ever caught a couple in all the years i've fished. Well done:clap3:

even rarer too foul hook 1 hehe :)
richt in the tail lol.

Andy.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cracking pollack there,talk about made for speed.
Yeah spot on, but not so much for stamina. The fish slackened off half way in after a few dives but then took off again. They like to stop for a breather now and again!!

But the cod didnt stop all the way in. Ok so the dives maybe werent as fast but great sport on the light rod (10 - 60g casting weight).

The bigger pollack are maybe different and hopefully i'll be able to describe that this year?

·
Hardcore Poster
1,575 Posts
Nice report m8 - I have never seen a lumpsucker :)

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
lumpsucker
i think it looks ok seen worse going down lochee high street during the day :)
not a bad pollack.
at least you can make it out instead of those stamp sized flounders

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
managed too salvage a pic from my camera,

Martyboy landing the 3lb Pollack on the light spinning rod, ( struggling as i kept back taking a picture :) :) )
well done m8.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Looks like you had a much better day than i had the other day though Andy. Will be out to try again midweek though. Are you out through the week mate?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts