World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've been thinking about this for a while. On the SAI site they have a post that anglers report on weed conditions on beaches. They have separate posts by area but that site is more for the South, the North post hasn't been updated for years.

For all of us not lucky enough to live near where we fish (about 50 miles minimum for me from say Belfast to Red Bay), it can be soul destroying to land at a venue, set up and see it weeded out. Yes, sometimes we can just move but it wastes time and also, neighbouring beaches can be the same. This weekend for example we've big blows on Saturday and I'm wondering what state that may leave some of beaches I'm thinking of on Sunday.

So I thought of trying this. It mighn't be for everyone but for those that want, they can post on the state of a particular beach to help others and then hopefully get some help in return. You might not even have fished it, just driven past it or got out to look at it.

For example, every time I've been to Red Bay in the last I'd say 3 months, my spot has been unfishable. I'm guessing it's bad luck and there have been times when it's clear because I haven't seen it weeded for that long before. But I'm reluctant to chance it all the same.

Now I'm not one for mark naming on the public forums if I've had a good session myself but I think that if a beach is so weeded it makes fishing difficult or impossible, then the reporter isn't going to have caught much hence there's little to give away. Similarly, just having caught something on "a beach" doesn't mean that much because we all have our favourite spots on beaches.

I think it's just as useful to report if a beach is very clean but then you may have had a good session there, want to write a report on it but not name the beach. That's understandable and it's really just down to what people want to disclose. Any info. is useful. It's a quick one liner really that's required.

Anyway, I would personally find this very useful. If I get 6 likes / agrees / informative / comments or more then I'll run it.

Ta,

G

PS Reports here are in the majority NI and Donegal so I guess that'll be the main focus but if you have info. from elsewhere, it'll not be wasted.

PPS I know this doesn't belong in Catch Reports but for our wee community, everything from advice to reports gets posted in here so this is where it's going to get visibility.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I would say go for it mate, probably better to request a sticky from the mods, would keep the thread from getting lost between the other catch reports and such.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Think its up to about 15 quid a gram nowadays,,, oops wrong weed ?:X3:

Mark...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lolololol. Jees, head to Waterfoot beach, there must be a farm there, could raid it overnight.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say go for it mate, probably better to request a sticky from the mods, would keep the thread from getting lost between the other catch reports and such.
Aye, I think that would be best although they might tell me I can't have it in a catch report forum. I'll give it a shot.

West Strand and Portstewart clear of weed / hash / skunk and more or less fish yesterday too. Lovely surf but fairly big surges.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just PM'd one of the mods and asked for this to be a sticky, hopefully they'll do it.

Reactions: fedstar

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There we go lads, it's a sticky so let's try and help each other out where we feel comfortable in doing so without giving away any more info. than you want to. Remember, reporting clean beaches just as important as weeded ones!

Reactions: johnjb

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't fish it, just had a look but there is significantly less weed on Waterfoot Beach, particularly around the river mouth than I have seen in 2-3 months. There is still weed there but much less and along the rest of the beach the HW mark had some but little weed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Cushendall beach free of weed yesterday (unless there was a guy hiding in a corner somewhere smoking it that I didn't spot..)
There was some weed up on the high water mark however that I'm assuming was put there by the storm last week. It wasn't in the water but could well have been at high tide. Otherwise, generally all good
Waterfoot beach looked fine (from the road) too :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Waterfoot beach completely clear of weed last Sat from the South end to about 2/3 of the way up. Had a brief look at North end, more weed about but seems to be lessening each time I look recently. My guess is it's fishable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts