World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Week at Usan

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Stores 
#1 ·
Back from our second year's summer week staying in Ferryden. Ferryden is ideal for fishing the Usan marks - our B&B digs were outstanding. Having had a wonderful weeks weather last year, this year could not have been more different with the wind off the sea for most of the week, heavy rain on and off and water the colour of soup for most of the week. Fortunately we were helped somewhat by the big tides - almost all the fish were caught on the ebb or flood when the run was strong. High and low tide was for getting your breath back.

Must admit we did better than expected - not the number of fish compared to last year but only 2 fish were under size and the general stamp was about 3lb. Here's some of the photos:

and my favourite:

See less See more
#2 ·
Some nice fish lads. Well done.

The weather the past couple of weeks up here ain't been ideal for the cliffs and Usan so you done well to winkle out some good fish.

:)

#3 ·
good stuff lads,glad the trip was a good un.great pics ,especially the last one:clap:
cheers rab

#7 ·
Well done guys good to see your still taking your weeks fishing . Looks like your having far more success in Usan than you did in St Abbs . Hope you are both well
Hi Bri,
Yes we're both fine. There are certainly more codling at Usan although there is more potential for a better fish between Eyemouth and St Abbs, imho. Bet you've still to pick up a better job than the Coldingham one lol

#8 ·
Hi I had a look at your link and was interested in ordering some leads from the boys advertising but the contact link appears to be broken
I am after 60 x 1 kg , 40 x 16 oz , 30 x 12 oz and 25 x 10 oz could you ask him to drop me a price dave[MENTION=4665]tempus[/MENTION]4.net
Many thanks Dave

#9 ·
Here's me spending a small fortune on carbon rods and fancy multipliers,live just round the corner from Usan and you guys come up from my old stomping ground and show us the way with Scarborough reels.Well done on your catch,would you care to divulge the bait you were using?

#10 ·
Here's me spending a small fortune on carbon rods and fancy multipliers,live just round the corner from Usan and you guys come up from my old stomping ground and show us the way with Scarborough reels.Well done on your catch,would you care to divulge the bait you were using?
No secrets in our locker - we got some fresh crab on the way up and used it on the first two days. After that it was frozen mussell and frozen crab, Strangely, this year, almost all fish were caught on 4o's compared to the 6o's we usually use. This was based on the number of under sized fish we caught last year, but there were hardly any this time.

#11 ·
Hi I had a look at your link and was interested in ordering some leads from the boys advertising but the contact link appears to be broken
I am after 60 x 1 kg , 40 x 16 oz , 30 x 12 oz and 25 x 10 oz could you ask him to drop me a price dave[MENTION=4665]tempus[/MENTION]4.net
Many thanks Dave
Have e-mailed Brian the quote in the hope he replies. Good luck.

Stores

#20 ·
nice fish man, i love fishing that coast line jim! long drive from staffordshire 5 to 6 hours jim?
Hi Seery,

The name's David. Jim was my dad lol. Cannock is 400 miles from Ferryden so the maths say nearly 6 hours. Coming back, last Saturday, the M1 came to a stop in Yorkshire for about 10 minutes, because the rain, thunder and lightning was so severe........bit like NE Scotland at the minute eh?

#21 ·
Hi David,

I'm still away. I've managed to get online and take a look at the reports. Not as many regarding Eyemouth as I thought there would be but I saw yours. Looks like a great week. I'd do some unusual things for a glimpse of that weather you had up there....it's in the 50.C over here!
I'm back in the middle of September. I'm hoping I haven't missed the chance of a few!

All the best, Wayne.

#22 ·
Hi David,

I'm still away. I've managed to get online and take a look at the reports. Not as many regarding Eyemouth as I thought there would be but I saw yours. Looks like a great week. I'd do some unusual things for a glimpse of that weather you had up there....it's in the 50.C over here!
I'm back in the middle of September. I'm hoping I haven't missed the chance of a few!

All the best, Wayne.
Hi Wayne,

120 degrees is too hot for anyone!! Haven't sent in any Eyemouth reports this year as, for one reason or another, I've never been fishing for 12 months, well since last year's Usan report.

September could be good up there, or it might be that there's plenty fish running along the beach by then. Either way I'm sure you'll get out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.