World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:boat: well,original intention was to fish from fri.evening to sun. evening, with most of this time spent shark fishing, that was MY plan but work and seals had their own plans! didn't get home early enough fri. evening to catch the tide so headed out early sat.morning with first priority enough mackies for rubby dubby. headed south slow trolling but only odd mackie, spotted 2 boats 2-3mls further south , too far out for the cod ground, so went down there for a chat and they were catching plenty mackies, 1/2 fish box in an hour or so with the odd cod caught too! set up with a 6 hook sabiki shrimp rig( which pretty much catches everything going around here) 1st drift soon into mackies and a fine 6.25lb cod! on the prawn baited bottom hook. mackies not coming fast tho,1 or 2 here and there only twice 3 at once and a nice 8" sandeel only the one! put it into a pail of fresh seawater for later. now with around 50 mackies that's the rubby dubby sorted,so now down to kingsbarns area for the cod bait, headed straight to the hotspot to bag a few cod pronto but 2 drifts and 1 cod later(around 5lb) bit surprised cos conditions were perfect so where were the cod? decided to try a reef only 400yds north(around the size of a football pitch and rising to less than 20ft) 1st drop and bingo! loads of cod,small coalies,pollack,several wrasse a pouting and a sea scorpion(1st for me st andrews) this quickly becoming addictive with all thoughts of shark fishing diminishing, till the tide and wind turned now drifting me across the creel rope where before i was running parallel without snagging.anyway with 6 larger cod 4-6lbish for friends kept and 10 smaller ones 2-4lb for bait,headed out another 1/2mile to flat tho still hard ground to anchor up for the next 24hrs for a bit porgie bashing. set up my spinning outfit with a telescopic double spreader wire boom with 12" droppers to small circle hooks,1 baited with 1/2 prawn other with sliver of squid or cuttlefish/mackie cocktails whilst making up the rubby dubby(1/2 the mackies chopped up with 20lts horse bran and a few lts used cooking oil from a local indian takeaway) it was again non stop action with at first 2 small codling coming in then the bigger codling to 5lbs as soon as the rig touched down,but the single hits were i reckon 80% on the prawn,a bit surprised by this stat as i expected otherwise,so i'm now thinking why bother with the smelly squid and messy mackies? a 1/2 kilo of asda raw frozen king prawns for a fiver and i've caught boxes of cod on them!!! (and the fish were taking them when they were still frozen!)
so now to put out the large rubby dubby laundry bag,nice scent trail going out with the spring tide,lowering the cod bait over the side when a seal popped it's head up! bugger this! waiting game but i was the only boat in bay now and seal wasn't budging so early night for early start sun. popped out to have a recce at 6 am beautiful morning totally flat calm no seals,put out rubby dubby sack,then guess what! bloody seals!!! upped anchor and headed out another mile and went on long drift north with same rig set up for dabs with smaller hooks,picked up a few as i went filleting the cod as i go, the dabs slightly preferring the cocktail to the 1/2 prawn . not the weekend i had hoped for but great sport and 2 new st andrews species the sea scorpion and dab.i'll try for the porgies again next month but 2 mls further away from fifeness! on the dab ground with loads of groundbait for some bigger flatties! :boat: 6.25lb cod.jpg

1st 10 mins on the reef.jpg

Double hit of wrasse!.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
fantastic report as always mate :victory: im off to arbroath with the yak tonight hopefully find some nice pollack

·
Registered
147 Posts
the porbeagle shark is called the mackerel shark in other areas,perhaps it would be preferable to use them for bait rather than our dwindling stock of small cod,it has been proved in a survey that mackerel are the prefered diet in the warmer monthes.also the hook in your image looks very like a stainless steel hook,if that is so you could perhaps consider using o'shaughnessy bronzed hooks which i am sure you know will degrade while the stainless wont.please take this as helpfull advice not in anyway a sarky dig. ps. i have the t shirt.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the porbeagle shark is called the mackerel shark in other areas,perhaps it would be preferable to use them for bait rather than our dwindling stock of small cod,it has been proved in a survey that mackerel are the prefered diet in the warmer monthes.also the hook in your image looks very like a stainless steel hook,if that is so you could perhaps consider using o'shaughnessy bronzed hooks which i am sure you know will degrade while the stainless wont.please take this as helpfull advice not in anyway a sarky dig. ps. i have the t shirt.
hi mate,i bought these hooks cheap off ebay and they weren't advertised as stainless but to check my small magnetic pick up tool lifts one from an inch away so sure to rust pretty quickly! i read an internet article this evening about the porgies and agree the mackies are a good bait also a likely mark for them could be the reef that i had great sport on at weekend,only probs likely to be the creels and seals.i think january would be worth a try too when the herring move in to the bay.
posted a pic of one of the better dabs i caught. cheers. :boat:

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Great fishing m8:marinheir
joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts