World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem a bit strange but I want to catch one or both, on a hook (no netting) ideally on my doorstep (Seaford/Newhaven) but anywhere between Eastborne and Worthing. Does anyone know of a really good mark. I am thinking LRF/sandy sea bed and plastic worms for bait but read somewhere that they often get taken on Mackerel feathers so if you have any ideas on bait and tactics that would be appreciated too.

PS. In case anyone gets concerned - yeah I know that they have poison in the spines on the black dorsal fin.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I've heard anything that looks like a kiddies foot is good. Best location would be a packed tourist beach.

You're a strange cookie, good luck though. I hear the French like eating them.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard anything that looks like a kiddies foot is good. Best location would be a packed tourist beach.

You're a strange cookie, good luck though. I hear the French like eating them.
:) There is method in my madness - I know nobody wants to catch them, no plans to eat one either. Never thought of a kiddies foot though, maybe I should buy a lure casting kit...

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
I would love to catch one too I think they are pretty cool looking and would like to tick it off the list. Iv heard people catch them on baited sabikis

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Lesser is the common one
the greater gets caught on deep
water marks normally (boat)

Dusk is the time for weevers
try mini metals or jig & isome
Slow near the bottom on
East side beach newhaven or tidemills..also gurnards
flounder & schoolies to this method..

Or sabikis......

·
Registered
762 Posts
I caught one on rag worm many years ago a lepe beach fishing low water up. I didn't know what it was went to unhook the ugly beast (was a tiddler). And my old man was like saying no don't touch it I thought he was being a wettie but he showed me the spines on it. Good old dad lol

Reactions: carlclarke

·
Registered
20,769 Posts
This may seem a bit strange but I want to catch one or both, on a hook (no netting) ideally on my doorstep (Seaford/Newhaven) but anywhere between Eastborne and Worthing. Does anyone know of a really good mark. I am thinking LRF/sandy sea bed and plastic worms for bait but read somewhere that they often get taken on Mackerel feathers so if you have any ideas on bait and tactics that would be appreciated too.

PS. In case anyone gets concerned - yeah I know that they have poison in the spines on the black dorsal fin.
:) Sandy beaches are ideal sabikies baited with mackerel work well. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've had one from Shoreham arm on a float-fished mack strip. Bottom hook, so most likely tripping bottom at the time. Gave a bloody good bite for such a tiny fish!

·
Registered
7,612 Posts

You have the perfect venue right at your doorstep for lesser weevers. We have recorded up to 30 lesser weevers during our juvenile fish surveys at Tidemills. Rough weather conditions from the south - southwest improves your chances of catching them and I would think Newhaven east arm would be the perfect place to try.

Good luck mate

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to give Newhaven a try over the weekend.

Now Pipefish...

Actually I have seen them so I know where to find them but I just need to work out how to hook them fairly because they have a 'silly' mouth - but that is for another weekend :)

I hope you all have a good one and thanks for the information and ideas.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Pipefish feed on plankton sized organisms. I doubt that is possible to catch one 'properly' on a hook. I know that a fair few get caught accidentally by foul hooking.

Weevers are pretty easy to catch once you have located their hideout. They will take just about anything, so you need to worry more about locating them than the actual method.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Never thought u could catch a pipe fish. Think your wasting your time. But weavers on lrf gear are good fun. Like I said before 70mm fiiish lures. Then there a chance of lots of other fish aswell. I have had mackerel . Bass . Wrasse on them

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never thought u could catch a pipe fish. Think your wasting your time. But weavers on lrf gear are good fun. Like I said before 70mm fiiish lures. Then there a chance of lots of other fish aswell. I have had mackerel . Bass . Wrasse on them
I think Fiiish Minnows are great, I have a few in sizes 1 to 3 so thanks for that information. As for the Pipefish, you might be right but it is the challenge that makes it fun and interesting.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Your only foul hook them so not really fair on fish. But get a net haha. There was a weird vibrating lure that I used got hit after hit on it. Never landed a fish only had two lures but they were destroyed . Will find a lure and send u a pick of it

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pipefish feed on plankton sized organisms. I doubt that is possible to catch one 'properly' on a hook. I know that a fair few get caught accidentally by foul hooking.
I read somewhere that they can feed on Mysids (size range 5-25mm across all species) so I may be needing to deal with bait of just a few mm and a magnifying glass. Maybe it won't work but will try over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Always try some size 22 pre hook to nylon rigs. That match anglers use for bleak. Think they go down to size 26. Bloody small. I landed a 5lb pike on them once

1 - 20 of 22 Posts