World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , i have seen some size estimation charts and cant make mind up on weight by the size of a bass i caught 3 weeks ago ,

it was 23" long with 17" girth real fat lady :sun: , it bent my hook straight !

i estimated it around 4lb but have seen people reporting 45cm bass @ 3lb

one i managed to weigh was 19" long and was 2lb-15

any one want to guess or have similar size fish caught and weighed

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'd have said nearer 5lb than 4lb. One I had a few weeks ago was around 50cm and was just shy of 4lb

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Hi , i have seen some size estimation charts and cant make mind up on weight by the size of a bass i caught 3 weeks ago ,

it was 23" long with 17" girth real fat lady :sun: , it bent my hook straight !

i estimated it around 4lb but have seen people reporting 45cm bass @ 3lb
one i managed to weigh was 19" long and was 2lb-15

any one want to guess or have similar size fish caught and weighed
Thats because they have no scales (or inaccurate ones) and havent got a clue what fish actually weigh , it will be the same once the whiting arrive. The only two bass I've weighed myself this year was one of 52cm which went 2lb 14oz and one of 3lb 2oz which was 50cm. Catch and release charts do give a reasonably accurate average for a fish of your size if you look for it.

·
Now in Littlehampton
3,474 Posts
Have a look at these charts for approximate weights http://ukbass.com/fishingbits/weightforit.html

If you keep your own records of girth measurements along with length you can start to build a picture of whether the Bass is above, below or on the predicted weight.

23" (58cm) using the chart gives about 5.1lb, 17" (43cm) though is a hugely fat fish (compared to two I have recently measured at 55cmX30cm and 56cmX30cm(both of which weren't slim) and two from last year 64cmX35cm(fat) and 63cmX32cm(slim)), it's out of proportion to the length (its the belly size of a Bass more like 70+cm in length). If it was this girth then it would be well over the length estimate alone of it's weight but to me 17" doesn't sound like the correct girth. Is there a photo link to see this fat beast?

Imo length and girth measurements are just as valid as weights but if you only measure rather than weigh then the best you can do is estimate based around what you've measured and say it was about/approx/around the said weight.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry no photo it happened early in morning and i am skint with no camera, i am using my kitchen scales to weigh them as well now lol ,

was gutted as it would be top weight of comp i am in at mo along sandbanks but am second with 3lb-1 well i was last week lol ,

girth was defo 17" just a tadge under , i measured her twice cause of the stats ,

i knew it was full of somthing as you could see the belly was bulging like she was gonna pop , its why i put her back cause i thought she may be a late spanwer as described in mike t's senior's book - fishing for bass

1 - 5 of 5 Posts