World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people

As i've already mentioned on forum i'm a complete beginner at sea fishing, so picture this! I walked to my local sea fishing shop to buy some weights for a nice simple ledger rig to fish with while the wife did abit of shopping anyway after 15 mins of haggling of what size weight i wanted we finally got down to an 3 or 4 ounce, he then got this big box full of all different shapes and styles and told me to pick my own ( not very helpful ) Anyway after going on with myself, my question is -

When and what sitution would you use them weight with the metal legs ? ( great discription ha ha )

Cheers

Lee :D :D :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I tend to use the breakaway type weights for most of my beach fishing they are used if you want to hold your bait where you cast it, if you want your bait to move around with the tide use a plain lead.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Them weights with the legs-use the breakaway type for most fishing the idea is they anchor themselves, and therefore your trace and bait in one spot but are easier to retrieve because when you pull them the legs "breakaway" and don't snag thing is they can let go when you don't want them to so there are weights with fixed leads available for times when there is a heavy tide or current. What I do is have a selection of sizes-heavier holds better but also carry a couple of elastic bands these can be wrapped around the lead to hold the legs in place for those rare occasions you need more grip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha ha ha ha yeah me to !!!!!!

thanks for that guys, i've just been reading the article on flounder it seems i need the plain lead as i want it to drift with the current of the estury where i fish.

Cheers Lee :D :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
paid4tackledealersroller said:
Bloody Hell I think I'm turning into a fisherman :eek:

I thought the same but the Mrs says I'm just turning into a magpie as I like playing with shiney things and never catch any fish......

So I told her yes that means I'm a fisherman ;) :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
try and get your hands on some sea fishing magazines and read them from back to front. the information and advice from these can be a huge help in getting to grips with the very basics of the sport. it certainly helped me when i started out
.never be afraid to ask questions.there,s plenty of us out there who are willing to help

smiffer

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
i use the breakaway impact leads, the only thing i use the ones above is if it's a big spring tide or if it's rough. The problem I've found is that since i started tying my rigs to clip down to an impact lead i can't use the rigs on anyother lead.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Woolylee

Breakaways are also good for when fishing in close proximity to other anglers to avoid line tangles unless you are fishing with friends (good) or family.

Happy Fishing

Woodster

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers guys

I know what i'm looking for now cheers, if i've got anymore questions i'll ask ha ha

·
Registered
235 Posts
Tozer i don,t no if its me and got things mixed up but you say that you can,t use any other lead for your clip down rigs dont you use bait clips on your rigs?
:confused:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I think the breakaway impact leads have their own "Bait-Clip" built in !

·
Registered
235 Posts
I understand that m8 but he says he cant use his clipdowns without any other lead. so why does,nt he use bait clips incorperated in the rig?

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
i make my own
i normal use 5oz
i have both plian a grip moulds but prefer to use a plain for the rolling as where i fish the weed can be a problem during the winter months

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I just meant that once you have uiltv av rig so that it fits to an impact lead it won't fit anything else,
I haven't got much faith in impact shields, i find they don't always release, ut that could be my fault, i use pretty much nothing but impacts anyway so it doesn't really bother me too much.
I've got to check my typing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts