World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished with WRC on the N.Lincs coast last night.

There was a little bit of weed druing the ebb, nothing to bad but what was really weird was when you squeezed it the stuff lit up like a bloody xmas tree! I thought Chris was seeing things until he showed me.

It was like loads of bright little green lights chasing along the length of the strands of weed. Never seen anything like it!!

Anyone else seen this before?

Oh Chris blanked (about time i out fished ya lol!) I got a smoothy of about 7lb , possibly my largest to date and managed to christen my new rod.

Other than that it was very quiet, only had 1 other bite which I missed. Poor really as the conditions were pretty good.

Chris if you read this see if you can upload the photo please.

Cheers

Gaz.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welldone Zagman on the possible PB hound..

The little green lights you saw on the weed will of been whats loosely termed Phosphorescence although thats the term for the phenomenon as opposed to the creatures. Theres quite a number of tiny sea creatures that have phosphorescent characteristics. What you probably saw were large plankton that under a microscope look a little like Lobsters or Prawns, they light up if they've been agitated.
They could of also been tiny jellyfish or a number of such like organisms.

A couple of weeks back at Southwold in Suffolk the front two of three breakers were lighting up a dulled luminous colour on a night session without pointing the head torch at them as 4 or 5 inch Jellyfish were getting washed ashore.

I've been up on Sheringham beach in N.Norfolk at night in mid-September a good few years back and the first few breakers were a solid bright iluminous yellow. You could get your wellies into the water and then run up the beach, all anyone could see would be a bright pair of boots running around the beach. It's pretty amazing when on a large scale.
I think it's more common later in the Summer as the sea reaches it's warmest..

Hope thats of some interest..

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Chris if you read this see if you can upload the photo please.

Cheers

Gaz.[/QUOTE]

No probs mate, i think my new rods got a curse on it ...5 blanks in a row. The thing is , if you target one particular species & the conditions aren,t spot on when you get to the beach you,ve no chance.. your,s was just a fluke, as we all know hounds are "pack" fish so your,s must have been "Billy no mate,s"... Either that or i was casting beyond them & with your shorter cast you hit the stray.. LOL..:roll1::roll1:.. Anyway well done mate & make the most of your self glory cos when the cod arrive........ well you know the score..
It was nice to meet Ian Houlton from Moonfleet Angling as well, The charity rig will be moving on soon i promise.... Oh yes , Gaz,s hound ,as small as it was. Here it is.....

Did i tell you about my new pb of 15lb3oz, i just found this piccy taken by Les on his mobile

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Welldone Zagman on the possible PB hound..

The little green lights you saw on the weed will of been whats loosely termed Phosphorescence although thats the term for the phenomenon as opposed to the creatures. Theres quite a number of tiny sea creatures that have phosphorescent characteristics. What you probably saw were large plankton that under a microscope look a little like Lobsters or Prawns, they light up if they've been agitated.
They could of also been tiny jellyfish or a number of such like organisms.

A couple of weeks back at Southwold in Suffolk the front two of three breakers were lighting up a dulled luminous colour on a night session without pointing the head torch at them as 4 or 5 inch Jellyfish were getting washed ashore.

I've been up on Sheringham beach in N.Norfolk at night in mid-September a good few years back and the first few breakers were a solid bright iluminous yellow. You could get your wellies into the water and then run up the beach, all anyone could see would be a bright pair of boots running around the beach. It's pretty amazing when on a large scale.
I think it's more common later in the Summer as the sea reaches it's warmest..

Hope thats of some interest..
An amazing thing to see, as kids we use to get in amongst them and never got stung.

G

·
couple of weeks ago on a warm, still night. as my end tackle broke the surface it left a yellow/green bright trail. lovely.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I did a bit of night swimming as a youth and to see the phospherence lighting up with each breast stroke was amazing, swirls of sparkling green in your wake. Good times.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Phospherescense is AMAZING... First encountered it a an 11 year old staying at Pevensey bay in Sussex, Out catching pout and schoolies after dark.. ran back to the holiday house to tell my dad...." Theres lights in the sea!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts