World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a rod to take down to Zziplex today, thanks Lee, and as I suspected I would ended up with an hour to kill in New Romney. My first thought was casting practise but the tide was a long way out So instead I made the mistake of taking the hound for a pound along to Greatstone.

The tide being so far out was the deciding factor as this is a dog that thinks it is a fish and it would be halfway across the channel by now if the the sea had been closer. Aside from being a poor specimen of a dog this is also the dirtiest creature known to humanity. If dog is man's best friend this one is the kind of best friend that turns up at your wedding pissed, touches up the vicar and vomits on the wedding cake.

The beach was littered with dead dogfish. I was tempted to gather them all up and claim I had caught them to annoy The Cod Father 1. I would have if I had thought of it before I was halfway home too.

However, I didnt catch to them I was led to them by this deviant with a spaniels nose and she enjoyed rolling on them, trying to eat them and particularly enjoyed the "game" where I tried to chuck them somewhere she could find them, as if! I particularly enjoyed a 45 min drive home with a dog that smells like decaying dogfish.

There were a few beached Jellyfish the size of Blancmanges too, I dont think they are stingy ones, at least they didnt sting the dog when she rolled on them.

I also saw this:

I havent a clue what it was. Does anyone know? It was near on as big as the dog (20kg) and looked like a Veloceraptor in a feather boa. It is obviously a seabird by the webbed feet and pointy beak but it makes your average seagull look like a poof. The only bird I have ever seen like it had Rod Hull's arm up its arse.

The dog wanted to roll on that too but she was on the lead again by then, so I was able to preserve the corpse's identity for identification by you forensic fellas.

·
Banned
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like it may be a Gannet, that overdone the slim fast diet.
Yes it is a bit Kate Moss. Big old beak on it though. Could be the feathered love child of Kate and Barry Manilow or Barbra Striesand and Bobby Sands I suppose? I know one thing though if that had strutted up to me and demanded a chip it could have had the whole bag.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Sorry lads, without a doubt a shag, black feathers tell you that.
Smaller species than a cormorant.
You would have seen them sitting on the top of the low tide markers when you have been fishing, or seen them flying very low to the water in one long line maybe 3 to 10 or more.
A very shy bird that you won't get close to.
This one I would think more likely to have been caught in a net.
Rob

G

·
Yep .... a gannet, had one hook its self when live baiting for bass at samphire hoe. Managed to get him in after an epic struggle. Did not realize how big they are, also found out when they have the hump the beak can give you a right good nip, and it took a dump down my leg. Bloody horrible birds.

·
TOPWATER BASS LURE ADDICT
4,877 Posts
Sorry to say but it's definitely a gannet and looking at it its a juvenile as a fully grown adult breeding bird doesn't gain its full colouration of an adult until the age of 5 years old, one thing I do know is me British birds being a champion breeder and exhibitior of British birds for a number of years :rolleyes:

Look closely at the bill, biggest giveaway ;)

Bird Eye Organism Beak Feather
Bird Beak Screenshot Feather Wing
Bird Water Beak Feather Seabird

Juvenile gannet

Stuart

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I'll go with gull-billed-platypus. Similar to the duck billed variety but far more marine dwelling.
And I'm surprised you're all calling it a gannet, it looks starving!!!

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Sorry to say but it's definitely a gannet and looking at it its a juvenile as a fully grown adult breeding bird doesn't gain its full colouration of an adult until the age of 5 years old, one thing I do know is me British birds being a champion breeder and exhibitior of British birds for a number of years :rolleyes:

Look closely at the bill, biggest giveaway ;)

View attachment 318910 View attachment 318911 View attachment 318920

Juvenile gannet

Stuart
Nice to eat stevee
Taste of mack lols

·
Banned
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another thing I found worrying was that one of the dogfish was minus its head:eek:

Who catches something, beheads it and then leaves it on the beach?

Was Jihad John fishing at Greatstone last weekend?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Another thing I found worrying was that one of the dogfish was minus its head:eek:

Who catches something, beheads it and then leaves it on the beach?

Was Jihad John fishing at Greatstone last weekend?
A bloke walking his dog at the Warren today stopped for a chat and told me his animal (called Tina) ate dogfish heads. Strangely the only fish I caught all afternoon was a doggie and just when this conversation was taking place. Tina did indeed eye the unfortunate fish in a salivatory manner but it was easily unhooked and sent back from whence it came, no doubt much to Tina's disappointment. And replies like this show just how crap my fishing is at the moment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.