World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well done Georgia on your specimen Dab and getting your mission badge :clap2:

georgia.jpg

This Dab was 35cm long and plump, and yet it only weighed 1lb 3oz...It does make me laugh at some of the claims of "caught a few dabs between 1.5lb and 2lb etc" Ive been fishing years around our coasts and that is the biggest dab I have ever seen with my own eyes, same goes for a lot of my angling friends.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
totally agree. the amount of timea ive read about people catching 2lb flounders from the thames. i think everyone who joins wsf should be issued with a set of scales and one of the rules is u must weigh ur fish . if u dont weigh it thwn dont say it. nice dab by the way.

·
13,170 Posts
Well done Georgia:clap3:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well done young un good eating there.

2lb flounder are in the Thames I have seen them come out although I've only had 2oz of late lol

·
Registered
698 Posts
totally agree. the amount of timea ive read about people catching 2lb flounders from the thames. i think everyone who joins wsf should be issued with a set of scales and one of the rules is u must weigh ur fish . if u dont weigh it thwn dont say it. nice dab by the way.
Totally agree with that! Some anglers live in cuckoo land with their estimates and claims and there's hardly ever a photo to back it up. In the Fountain open the other week the largest flatfish prize went to a dab of over 700g which is getting on for 1lb and 3/4! Officially weighed and identified, so that's got to be worth an award as well as the 300 odd quid he won for it!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Well done young un good eating there.

2lb flounder are in the Thames I have seen them come out although I've only had 2oz of late lol
Quite correct, infact in the past iv'e heard the term '5lb Flounders a nuisance'.......:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Well done Georgia on your specimen Dab and getting your mission badge :clap2:

View attachment 195160

This Dab was 35cm long and plump, and yet it only weighed 1lb 3oz...It does make me laugh at some of the claims of "caught a few dabs between 1.5lb and 2lb etc" Ive been fishing years around our coasts and that is the biggest dab I have ever seen with my own eyes, same goes for a lot of my angling friends.
That is a good dab, in almost 60 years of fishing my biggest from the shore is 1lb 7oz and from a boat 1lb 15ozs. In all my years I have only had a handful over 1lb and most of them from a boat on the Skerries back in the 80s. So well done on the dab. As for 2lb flounders in the Thames there are a few about and usually towards the end of winter before they spawn. For consistent 2lb+ flounders you need to head SW, Poole harbour or the Devon Rivers.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Well done Georgia, I bet you have got a lot of senior anglers including our very own Bluestevefish going green with envy.

Quite correct, infact in the past iv'e heard the term '5lb Flounders a nuisance'.......:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

5 lb flounders, tingletts and basslets should be banned until they have grown up!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Thats some fish. Well done young lady. My PB is only 14oz.

I once fished a club match at dungy and a bloke caught a 2lb 7oz whiting and a 1lb 6oz dab on the same cast. Biggest of both species ive ever seen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I look in the sea angling mags every month and I always feel that some of the claims are a little tongue in cheek. But you have to take it at face value. However sometimes you wonder why would you post on some forums as all it attracts is negative comments even with photos?

Well done though nice fish

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TY everyone, she is pleased as punch and will be wearing her mission badge with pride :) I did also manage a mention in the missions with a dab of 34cm taken from gorlerston the following week, a PB for me also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts