World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow! 3° Celcius in the morning! 🥶 That was something hahaha! I hate to be cold but I really wanted to go out. So we headed West Bay. Good choice!
9 in the morning and just one parking space left in the marina. Unusual. Plenty of spaces for boats though so no problem to dock our Shetland at the pontoons.
5 mph Northerly winds, flat sea, blue sky - beautiful morning. The wind changed to 9 mph NW after 1 PM making the sea a bit choppy but not annoying for our 18ft boat. Flooding neap tide with highest water at 11.19.
We had plans to: 1. try reefs for bream, then 2: close to the shore for plaice and then 3: some wrecking on St.Dunstan for something bigger but... we spent the whole day in one, my favourite mark drifting and catching.... plenty of fish!!!!! I'd say one of my best fishing day out on my own boat.
As always mrs Adammus did catch much more than me haha!
So that was insane, really. After at least 25 sea bream landed we stopped counting them. Took 5 biggest home. Not super huge but at least 2lb each... so:
25+ sea bream (took 5)
3 pollocks (didn't measure them but quite big) took one home.
3 bass to the lures (52 cm, 55 cm, 60 cm) took one home.
3 red gurnard (took 35 cm one for a tea)
5 jumbo mackerel - we tried to find a mackerel shoals to try some feathering but with no results, just single ones took the bait.
Several pouting
One cuckoo wrasse
When the coolbox was totally full we have stopped taking fish and then catch and release only.
I wish to have more days out like this one.

Tight lines! Adam

Water Sky Cloud Lake Fish

Water Sky Boat Watercraft Cloud

Water Sky Boat Watercraft Blue

Water Cloud Sky Boat Vehicle

Water Sky Cloud Vertebrate Outdoor recreation

Water Sky Cloud Liquid Fish

Water Sky Cloud Blue Gesture

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well done Adam and Mrs Adam, great day out by the look of it. I'm holidaying in Devon or I would of been out myself.
Thanks Mark! Every year in September it is a must to go to West Bay for bream and it was spot on! Last year my missus caught 4lb bream on St.Dunstan wreck and I think it will be her PB for a long time.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like a great day out. Haven't managed to get down to West Bay yet this year.
I'm form Poole so mostly fish close to home - Poole, Christchurch, Swanage but we love West Bay so its a must to go there couple of times a year 🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent fishing, lovely mix. Great photo of our golden cliff (and showing some idiots right under the latest cliff fall).
Thanks Steve 👍 99% of these people don't know that there REALLY were fatalities caused by landslips. I was holidaying there (2012) when one holidaymaker died burried by hundreds of tonnes of rock....

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I cant believe that! I went out from West Bay twice the first week of September and really struggled! Best we found were some Bream on the Baygitano after motoring down to Lyme Regis!
It's always better if you know where to fish. It took me at least 2 years to make a spots map in West Bay. Next time if you go out try St Dunstan - there's always good fishing and even a chance to caught a ling or big pollock! I've never caught a ling there but my mate did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's always better if you know where to fish. It took me at least 2 years to make a spots map in West Bay. Next time if you go out try St Dunstan - there's always good fishing and even a chance to caught a ling or big pollock! I've never caught a ling there but my mate did.
I do have a couple of spots I fish when I'm down there but they just didn't produce this year! It seems to coinside with all the rain water & sewage that was pumped into the sea along the south coast the previous week, not certain if that had pushed the fish further off shore??

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do have a couple of spots I fish when I'm down there but they just didn't produce this year! It seems to coinside with all the rain water & sewage that was pumped into the sea along the south coast the previous week, not certain if that had pushed the fish further off shore??
Yeah, the truth is that even knowing where to fish its not always a win. I fish usually about 4-5 miles off the shore. Each time am trying to fish closer its not great. I wish to go more often to West Bay with my boat but its always either work or crap weather.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts