World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the great success of me catching my first smoothie i want to get down there again. the weather looks good for friday night and high tide is at 1. so it looks like it could be a very eventful night. i was just wondering is any one coming down that could give me a hand landing them and all of that mumbo jumbo coz im not to good at dealing with them.lol. hope sum1 is up for a meet.

Cheers Tim

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
After the great success of me catching my first smoothie i want to get down there again. the weather looks good for friday night and high tide is at 1. so it looks like it could be a very eventful night. i was just wondering is any one coming down that could give me a hand landing them and all of that mumbo jumbo coz im not to good at dealing with them.lol. hope sum1 is up for a meet.

Cheers Tim
I'm reasonably certain that the beach will be very busy with competent anglers Friday night Tim. Turn up, and explain your predicament to the person you pitch up next to. I am sure they will adopt you, especially if you flatter them by asking them to show you how to unhook, hold and release a hound. One thing all hounders should be aware of, always follow your hounds eyes out with your headlight. They get very confused on release, and often swim straight back onto the beach. If you dont see it happening, its possible the hound will get left high and dry, and dead.

·
Registered
20,891 Posts
I'm reasonably certain that the beach will be very busy with competent anglers Friday night Tim. Turn up, and explain your predicament to the person you pitch up next to. I am sure they will adopt you, especially if you flatter them by asking them to show you how to unhook, hold and release a hound. One thing all hounders should be aware of, always follow your hounds eyes out with your headlight. They get very confused on release, and often swim straight back onto the beach. If you dont see it happening, its possible the hound will get left high and dry, and dead.
:clap2:I'm hoping the weather holds tonight, I've got some peelers and a new Ian Golds Premium Match rod to try out, when I tried the Shakespeare MTI Bass rod last year I had an 11lb hound first cast while targeting bream, let's hope history repeats itself.:clap2:

·
Registered
20,891 Posts
:clap2:I'm hoping the weather holds tonight, I've got some peelers and a new Ian Golds Premium Match rod to try out, when I tried the Shakespeare MTI Bass rod last year I had an 11lb hound first cast while targeting bream, let's hope history repeats itself.:clap2:
:laugh:Report on last nights hound fest. Superb weather, light, warm onshore breeze, some surf and weed. I got there at about 2100 and the fish were feeding from the first cast, a chap who was leaving when I got there had been there since 1800 and had run out of bait, he said he'd had 12 hounds up to 14lb. An angler to the left of me had rented a caravan on site and had his young daughter with him, he was enjoying the fishing too, we went fish for fish, all about the same size, between 9lbs and 12 1/2lbs. Got him to take a photo for me of one of the larger hounds. Missed the first bite, not expecting it so soon, but connected with all of the following bites. Was trying out one of the new Ian Golds Rods, the Premium Match, it didn't let me down, smooth long casts from the off, fantastic bite detection, even with the small bream at distance cleaning the hooks at high slack water. Finished at 0100, really pleased with the night, you don't want a poor night when trying out new gear. Glad I made the effort, weed wasn't a problem, pulled in two big lumps all night and had a few bits on most casts but not enough to ruin a good nights fishing.:laugh::victory:

·
Registered
71 Posts

Cheers Tim
I’ll be down there if you need any advice or a hand with landing them as long as they are not bigger than mine. Look out for a blue Shakespeare box and rod bag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts