World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The usual question; Anyone know how it's fishing at the moment? I'm down there tomorrow evening and wondered if anyone had fished it lately.

Aside from that, what are the rules about fishing The Fleet? I know it's a nursery area and followed a link to the inshore rules. Ethically, is it OK to fish there as long as anything under minimum size is returned? Is it frowned upon to fish a nursery area?
I fished it for the first time on Saturday (on the advice of local tackle shop) and the school bass were obliging.

Anyone fish Redcliff regularly? Heard some good rumours(!) of a few fish but can't seem to find them myself. Too knackered after the walk!!
Any advice as to what I should target when I'm there would be great.

Cheers :D

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
hi nobby

as long as undersize bass go back it's fine....if you should catch a large bass please think carefully about taking it or putting it back. if it should be tagged, cut the tag off and make sure you measure it properly tip of snout to centre of the tail(not the tips of the tail) send the details of where and how caught along with the tag and you will be rewarded very nicely for it. the address should be on the tag..local angling shop will help with address... you could also take a few scales from the belly and these will help another part of the research in to bass stocks and the rate of growth.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent. Thanks v. much for that bassbites.
I don't think I'd have the heart to take one from the fleet as it seems to be a nice sheltered spot in which the stocks could potentially recover. I'm sure it's no coincidence that some of the best bass fishing in Dorset is just around the corner from it!! :D

Any chance of some info on Redcliff, or is there a reason that I'm the only one on the beach? :eek:

Cheers,

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
if you don't fancy the walk nobby, try fishing off of sandsfoot castle, in portland harbour. 3 nice reefs there, and lots of bass and guitheads there :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Chesilmaster,

Liking the idea of a shorter walk!! I'll give it a go. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Nobby,

I have found a website that gives info about fishing marks in and around Weymouth and Portland. Have a look and see if it's any good to you as it does give details about Redcliffe. You will find it at: www.weymouthangling.f9.co.uk
I hope you find it of use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts