World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just joined forum so new to this hope it comes out ok...... got there about six and joined the mackerel line at the end fished till dark with just one small bream and a few mackerel just after dark had a sole 2lb 4oz then a few pout then loads of crabs left just after midnight as fed up loosing hooks ! has anyone tried using wire to get past them? my mate stayed on and about 2am he caught 3 sole in 3 casts should have stayed but had to work anyway when it got light he added a bream about 1lb 8oz.. still had a good night and the sole was lovely on the barby!!!!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi Skaterboy,

Good job on the sole.

I fish at Hurst Castle where the spiders can be a problem, and I have a very simple method of dealing with it -

Fish a ledger with a 25cm trace and thread on a short polystyrene tube secured with crimps and beads. If you put the sleeve nearer the hook than the weight the bait will not droop as far as the bottom and most of the crabs will miss it (I guess this doesn't work on rough or weedy ground because then they would climb up). Of course, you are restricted to a short trace unless you want the bait to fish very high, but short trace is no problem for breaming and I also think they are attracted to the white tube. Also, if the current is flowing well you could probably get a longer trace to stream out afew cm off the bottom, but i haven't tried it. I often get more bream doing this than people fishing with two hook flappers.

Tight lines,

JC

·
Registered
360 Posts
Nice to see that the sole are about. I have tried a couple of times at a mark that was successful last year and just can't get past the crabs and pout.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Well done m8.

You can use fine wire or braid.

Some will say no, but experiment thats what fishing is about. I use a small braid snood attached to mono on the snood to give me the chance of not replacing hooks every cast.

Personal choice give it a go on one rod and not on the other and see what happens.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey skaterboy - we'll have to get out on Chesil soon - give me a ring sometime to sort it out!

Nick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts