World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone caught / reliably heard of any Bass being caught this summer on the West Coast.

Fished 3 days solid in the Sound of Jura / Loch Sween area last week and not a sign. Had 4 up to 6 pounds in the same area last year.

Fishing was superb on the reefs - 25 Pollock averaging 4 pounds a fish and as many Mackerel as you wanted - some cracking wee Joey's for live bait but no sign of Bass despite this being the killer method last year.

This weekend fished the Ballast Bank off Troon - **** poor with only 1 LSD and small Coalies.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Thanks Luggy.. you've just confirmed my suspicions that there are some decent bass about up there.

I just need to drag myself away from the skate to try for them now. :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
hi dave i have been up to lochaline a good few times fished off the peir this year heard u fish there a lot can u give me any advice on any other shore marks up that way u know of up that way olso heard there is skate to be had from the shore any help would be welcome codhunter

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

the rocks to the right of the pier can be good, I prefer to go past the yellow power marker. Also if you don't mind a walk Ardtornish point can be good for conger etc with Thornies, Doggies and Mackerel caught from the bay it's self.

There are plenty of marks down the Driminin road that will also produce.

Skate wise.. tis a lucky dip.. they can and do turn up anywhere and everywhere and normaly when you dont have the heavy gear ;)

I'm up there most weekends, just look out for my boat :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
cheers davie i give some of the marks ago i have fished the bay u said just had dogfish i be up there in a few weeks might see u out there can u book on ur boat or is it booked out would mind having a go for the big ones thanks again tam

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

I'm not a charter boat, I run the boat privately for family & friends but If I have the space your welcome to tag along.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi Davy,
Just curious as to how long an anchor warp you use. I know what the depths are like up there and 3 0r 4 times the depth is a hell of a lot of rope.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

No problem Tam, I normally pop round and have a gab with anyone I see fishing the pier.

FF there is a knack to anchoring in the deep water, the key to it is the amount & weight of chain you use. When anchoring in 400' I normally use about 430' of rope but I have a 10kg Bruce and 30m of 10mm chain. That's 3 times the amount of chain I should really need for my boat. Just as well the Alderny ring is a good method of retrieving it :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bass Update

Back up to a similar area for 3 days this week and did at last catch a Bass but not very big (2lb). Tons of Macks but the pollock fishing was poor due to the strong Westerly blowing all the time preventing fishing my usual reefs. Did have a cracking Thorny (9lb) in Loch Sween and in 30 years of fishing the Kintyre / Sound of Jura area I have never seen so many Popoises as there were this week - hundreds round the boat - you would have thought it was the Carribean if you ignored the 25 knot wind. Not sure why so many as the sea temp was normal for time of year at 16c.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks Davy,
I only ever fished up there with Ronnie and that was a good few years back.
I reckon I'll get up there with my own boat in the next month or so. Have you heard of anything else "big" being caught, other than skate. I know tope have been taken and I guess other sharks must visit the area. If I manage more than a couple of days I'd like to try for a few species.
Just been fishing down the south west, Portpatrick area, and the bass are certainly growing in number down there.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Well I tried the Bass and failed :(
but will try again :)

FF I've had a few accidental Tope over the years and a few targeted ones to 50lb, in fact I missed a Tope take yesterday :(

Only other biggie other than conger is porgies, I've seen a couple over the years and even had a brief hook up with one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts